partially working home network

my pc is the main one, my daughters is the second. All was well, but now her internet has stopped working? but it works with her MSN. she says she has not added any programs or changed any settings (Don't they all ways) and i don't know what to look at or where to start.

I can transfare files between both systems, its just affected her using IE to browse

my pc works fine but as a precaution I reset the router, but that failed to cure it.

does anyone have any ideas

howard60 20:23 21 Feb 05

check the network card properties - they occasionally switch to disabled you have to highlight it and right click.

Thanks for the reply, I checked that but its enabled.

LeadingMNMs 22:24 21 Feb 05

From what your saying I assume that she still has Internet access for MSN but cannot use IE to browser. The first obvious thing would be to check any firewalls and make sure that its allowing IE to access the Internet. If thats not the problem then check and see if other things can still connect to the Internet - might help to pinpoint the problem.

You are correct in your assumtion. she can access MSN, I have checked and turned off the firewall on xp to try that, however it still fails to connect. Theres not much else that will access the net ie. avg updates, adaware updates etc.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

[email protected]

LeadingMNMs 22:47 21 Feb 05

This is a bit confusing, but I'd suggest that you check the Connections tab in Internet Options. Click the LAN button and make sure that only 'Automatically detect settings' is checked.

I doubt this is the problem because I'd have expected MSN to use the same settings, but its worth a try.

At this point i will try anything that gets her off my pc

I thought in may have been virus related because i tried updating the definitions via a file but it won't recognise the file, the file was from avg??

Chezdez 09:58 22 Feb 05

do her browsers just fail at start up? or after shes had the machine on for a while? i.e they work for half an hour, then stop?

if so, does she use any P2P programs? kazaa, shareaza etc

i have the same problem, whereby my browsers pack up every so often after running kazaa for a bit, and the only way to sort it is to reboot

another possibilty is that her DNS is set up wrong (would explain why her browsers aren't working). double check her DNS

also, try downloading and installing firefox, see if that works. if it does, then we know it's a problem within IE

IE fails to start up and she has no P2P programs on her system at all. I will try firefox and see if that works.

even MSN is quirky as the only way she can start it after minimising it is to use the start menu to get into the interface of the program

Ie. you cannot right click the icon in the bottom right of the screen to re-enter the program after minimising it to do other work. you have to use the start menu.

Hope this makes sense??

[email protected]

Chezdez 17:18 22 Feb 05

ah, you mean that when you minimise the program (close the main console with the cross in the corner), you can't pull it back upto maxmised?

hmmmm, very strange indeed

well, try firefox

do you download windows updates regulary? if it's done automatically, then she won't know that they are being installed. maybe try removing the updates one by one (you know what?? i actually don't actually know how to do this, sorry :S) and see if it's an update that's causing the problem

erm, failing that, try a repair installation of windows??

i'm sure theres a million and one reasons why this is could be happening, i wouldn't try a full format and reinstall just yet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…