Partially dead Acer Aspire 3000 notebook

Koochy 22:07 22 Feb 07

Hi all i have a small problem with a friends acer notebook in that it won't start up.

First problem is battery is not holding any charge.
Second when i plug the power pack into the notebook i get the power button light coming on, a flashing light on the front of it and the CPU cooling fan starts but thats it no beeps or any other signs of life.

Acer aspire 3003WLMi notebook
Windows XP home Sp2 (i think)

All help greatly received.

Koochy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:30 22 Feb 07

Will it boot with the battery completely removed?

Koochy 22:36 22 Feb 07

no it still does exactly the same.

skidzy 22:38 22 Feb 07

Have you tried to boot into safemode,F8 on startup

Koochy 22:39 22 Feb 07

Thanks for that i have just tried it and exactly the same happens.

skidzy 22:46 22 Feb 07

I would suggest its possibly the drive is dead.have you got a caddy or something like this may help find out click here

Koochy 22:50 22 Feb 07

i don't have a caddy but i do have another note book(not acer though), a desk top and an external 500 gb western digital HDD if these are any use for what you have in mind.

skidzy 22:52 22 Feb 07

You could remove your hdd and place the other drive in its caddy and try that in your machine.

skidzy 22:53 22 Feb 07

Your notebook i was referring to...sorry forgot to mention that.

with acer if you press esc on boot up you can change the boot sequence try to boot from a bootable cd/dvd if you can't then it is not the hdd

Koochy 23:02 22 Feb 07

The 2 hdd are different one is Serial ata (mine) and the one in the acer is ide.
So no can do.
I may be barking up the wrong tree all together here but even if the drive is dead would i not still get "something" on the screen as it tries to boot up?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5