Partial loss of network

jay65gee 13:00 24 Nov 08

I have a Cube desktop with an Intel Core 2 processor ([email protected]) and 3 GB of RAM. The OS is Windows XP. I also have a laptop running Vista. They both share internet access via a Linksys router and this element of the network works well. I also have a Freecom Network drive connected via the router to which both computers have access.

I lost access to the network drive from the desktop several weeks ago whilst using the drive with no changes in configuration taking place at the time. Although this has occurred occasionally before, usually rebooting the entire network in stages (broadband modem, router, network drive then computers) has resolved the problem.

However this time rebooting achieved nothing and when I lost access my desktop no longer sees the drive, although the laptop still has full access. On the desktop if I try viewing the Network in Explorer I receive an error message stating:

Unable to browse the network.
The network is not present or started.

Clearly the fact that the drive is accessible via the laptop and that internet access is still available means the hardware and cables are sound so I suspect the problem must lie with the desktop.

Can you offer any assistance as to what steps I must take to find and solve the problem

Many thanks

brundle 13:05 24 Nov 08

First link

click here

jay65gee 14:10 24 Nov 08

Dear Brundle
Many thanks for your link. That led me to the solution, how simple.
JohnGee

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…