Partial blocking of web pages

Creditman 22:30 11 May 04

Very recently,I find that on some web-sites part of the content is overlapped by a sort of window that looks like the window you get when the web-site can't be found, i.e it has a blue i in top left, followed by "action cancelled" & if you scroll, the rest of the window is displayed (in a very small frame)& it is the same sort of text that comes up when a link does'nt work or the site is not available. Sometimes this intrusion repeats itself 2 or 3 times on the page. Anyone tell me what - why - how to get rid of it ? Hope this makes sense. Thanks

Creditman 22:38 11 May 04

I forgot to say that the first line of text always starts off "Internet Explorer was unable....." So it seems to be a sort of "official" message.

Lionheart ? 22:50 11 May 04

Have you an ad-blocker installed, the pages could be ad's.

Creditman 17:58 12 May 04

Lionheart - yes, I have an ad-blocker but I've had it for a long time & the trouble has only just started.

TomJerry 18:13 12 May 04

~

Creditman 19:05 12 May 04

TomJerry - Don't understand your response. What is a new kind of popup ? Certainly this annoying window is blocking ads, but prior to this any ads just did not appear. I use Google & Adaware to block ads & have done for many months, so this must be caused by something else.

grey george 19:18 12 May 04

Some one had a similar problem and it turned out to be Spy Blocker are you using this software?

Creditman 21:57 12 May 04

grey george - no, i'm not using Spy Blocker.

Diodorus Siculus 22:03 12 May 04

Has your ad blocker been updated? Recent hosts files have blocked quite a number of new sites.

What sites are causing problems? Can you post a link here to a particularly bad one?

Creditman 23:09 13 May 04

Diodorus Sicolus - Can't remember any particular sites. I decided to uninstall Spybot & to return to the basic Zonealarm (I was on freee trial for the pro version). Since doing this the problems have not returned, but my fingers are still crossed ! Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…