part of HDD not seen by Xp

pleaseIneedhelp 02:06 27 Nov 08

I have installed an old version of Xp onto a new desktop PC and loaded service pack 2 and 3 onto the system, but only 127Gb of the 250Gb is seen by the PC. Can you help please.

MAJ 03:07 27 Nov 08

Now that you have the SPs installed, you shoud be able to go to Disk Management and format the rest of the drive, Start > Run, type:

diskmgmt.msc

and click OK. It will leave you with two partitions, so you'll need some third-party software to join the partitions if you want all the space on one drive.
To avoid the problem in future, use an XP CD with SP2 on it, you can create a "slipstreamed" disk with XP and SP2/3 on it if you wish, there are a number of utilities on the web to allow you to do that. click here

;

pleaseIneedhelp 03:11 27 Nov 08

Thanks MAJ I will try your suggestion when I get home an hopefully it will work.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:27 27 Nov 08

Don't format yet

In Windows, click on Start->Run, enter "regedit".
# Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters registry subkey.
# From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value.
# Enter the name EnableBigLba, then press Enter.
# Double-click the new value, set it to 1, then click OK.
# Close the registry editor.
# Restart the machine for the change to take effect.

MAJ 15:50 27 Nov 08

Surely the installation of the SPs will have done that?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:00 27 Nov 08

Yes they are supposed to but I've seen it work on several occasions, always worth a try before formatting and losing anything on the drive.

MAJ 16:05 27 Nov 08

"...before formatting and losing anything on the drive."

True, but, pleaseIneedhelp wont be formatting the whole drive, just the bit of unallocated space (which will become the scond partition) above the 127 GBs already recognised.

Maybe I've got it wrong, Fruit Bat /\0/\, the senario has only happened to me once before and my old memory could be flawed.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:21 27 Nov 08

I read it wrongly
Not realised this was a new drive.
Reading too many threads (and my old memory is definitely flawed)
;0)

pleaseIneedhelp 08:17 28 Nov 08

Thanks everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…