Part of disk unallocated

JimT 22:16 10 Jul 05

I've just installed a 200GB drive and w XP is on it. Windows aallocated about 80gb to the OS.

Now Partition Magic shows the rest of the disk as "Unallocated", and so the full size is not showing in Windows.

Can't see any reference to "unallocated" in P Magic Help.

Can anyone help?

glen2409 22:28 10 Jul 05

Did you install xp from new on the drive following a format?

Also, have you been in the Bios and checked the settings there, select auto detect to detect the new hard drive. What make is the hard drive?

JimT 22:32 10 Jul 05

It's a Seagate.

I installed it originally about a week ago and following an install of XP the whole of the drive was recognised.

I then had a few software problems and so decided to do another clean install, but this time the "unallocated" problem has turned up.

in win xp goto help & support type in disk management, from there you should be able to get more info on the drive

woodchip 22:51 10 Jul 05

Check the drive to make sure there is no other jumper than the one that changes Master to slave. As there may be a jumper that stops you using all the drive

JimT 22:51 10 Jul 05

The drive is set to Master

keith-236785 08:43 11 Jul 05

as the disk was showing the full ammount before you re-installed then it must be to do with the last install of windows, have you run all updates (including SP2 as this overcame the drive limit in winXP(though it was 136gig i believe)not 80)

if you right click on My Computer and choose Manage, then click disk management, this opens the winxp partitioning tool.

if you are happy to have two partitions, just right click on the unallocated space and choose "new partition", then follow the wizard.

the jumper on the hard drive as suggested by Woodchip is worth trying but the limit is normally 32gig, not 80, but still worth checking out.

good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…