Paritioned Drive and Faster PC

mcheathen 23:06 24 Feb 11

Someone told me that splitting or partioning the hard drive makes the PC go faster. How is this possible? The partition you choose to use will have less disk space and less virtual memory. So it must run slower.

northumbria61 23:11 24 Feb 11

See here click here

woodchip 23:12 24 Feb 11

It will not make no difference, none that you can see that is. It just that if the Operating System is on a Smaller Partition then its a lot less to check or go wrong, if Imaged it can be restored very quickly

northumbria61 23:12 24 Feb 11

There are other ways of course to make your PC run faster (99 to choose from here) click here

ashdav 23:23 24 Feb 11

Partioning a single hdd will more than likely slow down the computer.
This is caused by the single head on the hdd having to constantly thrash between the partions.
I think what you are confusing or have been misinformed about is having 2 hdds (NOT partitions) so that the operating system sits on one (smaller) hdd and all your data is on another.
Then they can be accessed independently without the churning that occurs with a single hdd.

northumbria61 23:28 24 Feb 11

mcheathen - If it is any consolation - I have never partitioned a hard drive in over 20yrs of computing. It is a matter of personal choice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now