Parental Controls

Dellman 12:48 29 Mar 06

A friend of mine uses Windows XP. His children now want to "surf" the internet but wants to put in controls to prevent inappropriate content being viewed. I think he is still on dial-up.

What are the options? Any of these free?

Belatucadrus 13:22 29 Mar 06

click here a few free options here, can't comment on ease of use as I've never used them.

Cesare 13:45 29 Mar 06

I have used click here for nearly a year and I find it quite efficient although it took me a while to get used to it.

Dellman 13:52 29 Mar 06

Is there anything in Windows XP can can do some/all of this?

Belatucadrus 14:14 29 Mar 06

Short answer is no. You can go into Internet Explorer/Tools/Internet Options then click on the content tab and enable the content advisor, but it's not a particularly refined or effective filtering tool.

Dellman 16:59 29 Mar 06

Any other software (free??????????)

Belatucadrus 17:51 29 Mar 06

I've provided links to the four free ones that I know of Iprotectyou, Parental Filter, Naomi and Weblocker plus the Netveda combined filter firewall. I'm fairly sure that's your lot, but I stand ready to be corrected.

Longhouse 21:52 29 Mar 06

I used IProtectYou for a while to control web pages looked at by my nephew when he stayed with us for an extended period. Ran quite well with no problems on WinME Cel 400 256Mb RAM. Can be configured to block by rules and specific sites.

Haven't tried any of the others suggested by Belatucadrus

Longhouse

spuds 22:47 29 Mar 06
  Bren.ie 11:39 30 Mar 06

I have used K9 Parental Control since installing broadband two months ago. Find it very good
click here

Belatucadrus 15:20 30 Mar 06

Always nice to add another to the freebies list.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…