Parental Control

Mastermind 20:47 27 May 03

I'm rebuilding an old computer for some young children. I'm intending to put Windows 98 on it, but need to limit installing anything that will slow the machine down since it is quite old. I haven't had chance to check out the exact specifications, but it's about five years old.

I'm after some parental control freeware. Any ideas?

Belatucadrus 22:23 27 May 03

Two options to look at iProtectYou free version 3.06 click here , the newer version 4.01 costs $29.95 and We-Blocker click here hope one of these suits .

VoG™ 22:27 27 May 03

This is a personal opinion so please do not take it the wrong way.

There are programs that allow you to do this. My own experience with a 14 yo (going on 21) is to let them surf but keep an eye on what they are doing.
If they are determined to find pr0n they will, irrespective of netnanny or whatever.

-pops- 06:09 28 May 03

VoG™ is dead right and we have both expounded at length on this subject in the past.

I now have a bit more information than I had before on parental control software. This is that the main topic of conversation in secondary school playgrounds at begining of each term is about new methods of over-riding whatever nanny software there is installed on their computer at home.

Parental control software is far from 100% effective even when it is working right. When it has been hacked, it is totally useless and you may as well have saved your money in the first place. Remember that most children are far more computer savvy than you will ever be.

Mango Grummit 06:22 28 May 03

Mastermind, whilst I'm entirely in agreement with the above posts I will still tell you that AOL has an excellent Parental Control system and you should certainly consider them as your provider in the circumstances.

Fortunately our nearest offspring now live 180 miles away, even so, they still dump the grandkids here on a regular basis (how far away do you need to be?) but I know that they are as safe as they can be whilst on the internet in our house.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…