paranoid about secirity after mp3 download

davro 19:52 23 Feb 03

after downloading mp3 i hade a dodgy looking program installed L.O.P.after trying to uninstall program through control panel it asked me to type in numbers in a certain order after typing in a black screen come up saying have a nice day & restart now iam very paranoid aboutthe security of my pc as i use it for home banking is there any way of checking that things are all right? thanks. ps when trying to log onto this site it said not available offline connect?

PSF 19:56 23 Feb 03

click here

I did a search and found this.

It looks like a type of spyware.

-pops- 19:59 23 Feb 03

Install Spybot Search and Destroy click here and run it without delay. It will search out all these nasties and destroy them for you. Be careful, it has to be used with care but it will guide you as to waht is safe to get rid of.

After that, install Spywareblaster click here to stop it happening again. You could install AdAware as well. click here

Brian

Falkyrn 20:02 23 Feb 03

If you haven't already download and run adaware available from click here it should assist you.

-pops- 20:02 23 Feb 03

If you're on Me or XP, you could do a system restore to before this happened but even so, I would strongly recommend installing those things I've already suggested.

Brian

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:14 23 Feb 03

There is no need to do a system restore just follow the instructions from the website that PSF highlighted. In spite of the increasingly hysterical tone on the site LOP will not trash your HD, get you sent to Sing-Sing or make your neighbours shun you. It does no real harm and is easy to remove.

G

-pops- 20:19 23 Feb 03

I suggested the system restore as the simplest method to remove this thing - which it is. Simpler than following instructions from any website - which says to use the programs suggested by me anyway.

Brian

davro 20:22 23 Feb 03

i have ran adaware6 & deleted do you think security of my pc is o.k.? ihave zone alarm installed can i check the secuity of my pc? thanks.also norton av

davro 20:25 23 Feb 03

i have ran adaware6 & deleted do you think security of my pc is o.k.? ihave zone alarm installed can i check the secuity of my pc? thanks.also norton av

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:26 23 Feb 03

You have no nee to worry about security. There is no chance of getting hacked and most viruses are merely annoying not harmlful. Keep your AV and firewall (no matter which ones as they all seem to be good) up to date and surf on regardless.

If you are using Kazaa or similar you do open your computer to all sorts of infected files though...you have been warned.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…