parallel install v system restore?

longjon 11:09 25 Jun 04

i am having so many problems with outlook exp and int explorer that i am planning to reinstall my windows me os as a last resort. problem is the issues are preventing me from saving fotos/docs onto cds beforehands...so i have read that a parallel installation might be a solution. i gather it does not remove data. has anyone ever tried this?
also, wd using an earlier system restore point be a possibility? i realise i wd need to reinstall several apps after that point, but does that also leave data untouched and cure a dodgy os?
any views gratefully received.

VoG II 11:12 25 Jun 04

Why not try a repair first click here

longjon 10:43 28 Jun 04

thanks VoG for suggestion. i have now tried repair but made no difference. so i guess my question still stands...what are the pros and cons of system restore v reinstall?

€dstowe 10:49 28 Jun 04

For the short time I had WME, I never got the system restore facility to work for me.

I think you may be better trying to resolve the issues preventing you from doing those fundamental tasks before you do anything further. Is it possible to move all the files etc to another folder (or several small folders - CD size?) and then copy them.

€d

longjon 16:43 29 Jun 04

thanks for that but i have no idea why my cd drive isn't recognising disks. suspect it is in fact connected to my os problems. i may be wrong but i think there are so many post-virus corrupted files that the thing won't work on several fronts.
i am surprised there isn't more feedback about experiences re-intalling windows, or attempting system restore.
anyone?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac