Paragon Partition Manager - anyone tried it?

Dan 11:26 11 Dec 04

I'm expecting an external hd shortly of 250gb and am plannning to partition it into 6 unequal parts. I've had bad experiences with Partition Magic under XP and am so looking for an alternative. I've read one or two comments about the above utility which were good, but as it's a lesser known program I'm having trouble turning up in depth reviews.

Does anyone out there use it, or have positive / negative comments from personal experience.

Cheers

Dan

Gongoozler 11:44 11 Dec 04

The reviewers on this site click here like it, but only the paid for version not the trial version.

mattyc_92 12:36 11 Dec 04

I have had trouble with "Paragon Partition Manager" (it crashed my system during an "operation" and corrupted my system), but PartitionMagic 8.0 works perfectly.... I have found that you shouldn't use the program in windows, just use the "boot-disks" that you can create using the program and "partition" your hard-disk in DOS...

Dan 13:23 11 Dec 04

" just use the "boot-disks" that you can create using the program and "partition" your hard-disk in DOS..."

If it doesn't run in Windows how do you create the boot disks?

PM's crashed on me before leaving me with a virtual partition of about 15gb that I can't delete or use.

€dstowe 13:28 11 Dec 04

You can partition a new drive from within Windows. No need for (potentially dangerous) third party software.

In device manager, click on the drive (which will most likely be "unallocated") go to format and follow the instructions. You can put as many partitions as you want on the drive.

mattyc_92 14:43 11 Dec 04

The program loads up in windows fine, but when you try to create "partitions" or re-size them, that is when the system will, most likely, crash... If you have Systemworks installed onto your system, the help files explain that you may experience problems using the program in windows, so just use the boot-disks to load into MS-DOS

mattyc_92 14:45 11 Dec 04

You SHOULD be able to create the "boot-disks" fine without the system "crashing"... As I said the program only crashes the system when partitioning, especially if Systemworks is installed

Dan 15:00 11 Dec 04

Given me some stuff to think about.

May well try Edstowe's XP route first and then if that's not smooth sailing try PM again as mattyc says via DOS (this time I can spare the 15gb kink)

Thanks again all.

Dan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…