PARAGON DRIVE IMAGE FOR WXP OS

David4637 16:32 14 Apr 05

I am using this software which came on Personal Computer World mag cover disc a few months ago to do an image of my C:\ drive (OS partition) on to the D:\. This goes OK.

When I came to restore the image back to the C:\ drive from the D:\ I get a warning message “ Do You Want to Destroy the Boot Partition”. Obviously I say No.

In other words if I said “Yes” the PC will not Boot Up again.
All the General Settings in this prog seem to be set OK, except one which refers to Copy All Sectors which is currently unticked?
Your help would be much appreciated in getting this work properly? Thanks David

anchor 16:53 14 Apr 05

I don`t know this programme, but possibly their FAQ page may help.

click here

David4637 17:40 14 Apr 05

Thanks anchor, I did look at their FAQ, but it does not answer my query. Any ideas from someone that uses this prog? Thanks David

mattyc_92 17:45 14 Apr 05

If it is a full backup of your system, then IT will include the boot image.... So, in theory, clicking onto YES, will allow you to restore it....

BEFORE you do anything, is this "backup" is one file???? or is it all your files how they are on the C:\ drive???

David4637 19:05 15 Apr 05

It is a backup of all the C:\ (the OS files). I can not risk answering YES with the risk that the PC will then not boot up again ? Thanks David

David4637 19:06 15 Apr 05

PS - yes it is one file. David

Simsy 06:50 16 Apr 05

and I assume it is, then you DO need to answer "Yes"

the whole point of restoring the image is that you are going to REPLACE the existing partition, (i.e. in this case the one with the operating system that you boot from).

Presumeably you are doing this because the existing system is somehow "awry".

Your fear that the system will not boot up again is only valid if the image you are restoring is not an image of a working bootable partition. I presume it is an image of the same C\: made at a time when all was well?

The question raised by mattyc_92 is to make sure that there are no data/personal files on the current C\: that you need, as these will be lost. I presume you have all wanted data on D\:

The question asked by the programme is quite reasonable. It is to remind you that it is a bootable partition that you are replacing. If you are replacing it using an image of a bootable partition there is nothing to fear... if you were repalcing it with an image of a non-bootable partition, (e.g. your D\:), then you would have the problem you fear.

I'm not familiar with this specific programme, but it seems to me that the only real worry if if there is a powercut during the process. Is it possible to bootup and start this programme from a floppy or CD? If it is, then even if you do suffer with a powercut you will be able to start all over again. You say that the image file is on D:\ so that will not be harmed.

I repeat that I have not used, and am not familiar with this specific programme, so I can't be 100% certain of the above... but I am 99.999% certain!

Regards,

Simsy

David4637 14:54 16 Apr 05

Thanks Simsy, your answer is very logical. The dialog box words "You will destroy the boot partiton etc" really put the "wind up me", hence my reluctance to press Yes to continue. Thanks again David

Simsy 17:35 16 Apr 05

So many "messages" that are seen do make sense, but only if you understand the jargon.

A good example is the "name" for a partition... why is it a "Volume"? When you know tht it means name it makes sense, but not otherwise!

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…