Paper wont load on printer

Kernow999 16:02 15 Jul 04

I have an HP Deskjet 610c printer. Suddenly, when going to use it, the paper wont load and it makes a horrible grinding noise.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Belatucadrus 16:48 15 Jul 04

Check that the paper feed rollers are rotating when the printer tries to pick up, if they are clean them with something like this click here If they aren't then it could be a more serious mechanical problem and fixing it, even a 610 may not be cost effective.

Kernow999 16:54 15 Jul 04

The rollers are not going around! Oh dear.Also get a message say that it is out of paper. It is not. Doesn't sound good, eh?

jack 17:46 15 Jul 04

Time bin it I'm afraid repairs arnt cost effective on printers.

Next try a top feed printer Epson is best
Then Canon - Lexmark???????????????

Meshuga 17:48 15 Jul 04

As the paper feed rollers are not revolving it sounds as though the drive gear has had it and, as Belatucadrus has said, probably cheaper to replace machine. My experience with trying to get a printer repaired is that repair shops dont want to touch them because of the cost. Meshuga

Kernow999 18:46 15 Jul 04

Thanks for that. Any other recommendations for good, cost effective printers, please?

Wak 19:30 15 Jul 04

Seeing that you are most probably going to have to replace your printer, I'd be inclined to have a go at stripping it down to see what the problem is. Nothing is lost and you may just be able to repair it and learn something to your advantage about printers .

Kernow999 19:48 15 Jul 04

Nice idea. Cheers. Worth a fiddle!

gregori 20:57 15 Jul 04

You did not say that the rollers didn't turn so I'll assume that they do. The temporary fix is to moisten the rollers with a wet finger.
I have had this problem a couple of times with my own and a friends printer. A longer lasting solution is to clean the rollers with the sort of stuff you find under the sink usually reserved for cleaning greasy stains from worktops. Next clean it with alcohol. You may have to take it apart to get all around the rollers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…