Paper for inkjet printers

hoverman 13:50 22 Jul 03

Some advice needed regarding which is the best type of paper to use when printing on both sides. I publish a Newsletter for a club I belong to and the last two issues I printed suffered from problems with the black ink only transferring to the page next to it when stacked together - despite allowing a very long time for drying. Colour illustrations no problem.

A local stationary shop has advised me NOT to use paper with a gloss finish or is coated, but to use a matt paper instead. I have had a look at Choice Stationary's ad and they list a coated matt paper which has confused the issue. Any advice would be very welcome.

-pops- 14:04 22 Jul 03

For general purpose use (such as a newsletter) I find cheap copy paper perfectly adequate. I either get it from Tesco (very cheap, own brand) or from Viking Stationery who always have well known brands on special offer. The last lot I bought from Viking was Xerox Premier Laser/Copier/Inkjet paper and it is excellent, even for duplex printing in both inkjet and laser click here(qmkm3r451cqhca55pxasqjbe)/default.aspx

Brian

-pops- 14:05 22 Jul 03

Don't know what happened with the click here, ignore all the rubbish on the end - it works anyway!

barrie_g 14:15 22 Jul 03

try turning down the amount of ink that is used by the printer in printer properties.

Or as above use a cheaper less glossy paper as this will allow quicker absorbtion of ink.

hoverman 14:16 22 Jul 03

Many thanks for your reply, but from my own experience I have found that the printing on one side, especially illustrations that have dark areas, shows through too much on the other side if using less than 100gsm paper.

hoverman 14:21 22 Jul 03

Your reply and my last note passed each other on the way. The local stationer I spoke too said that black ink is notorious for transferring on glossy paper. I think I will try a matt paper and see what improvement I get. In the meantime, keep the suggestions coming for which I am very grateful.

-pops- 14:21 22 Jul 03

In that case, hoverman, try barrie_g's suggestion of turning down the ink.

Another thing you could do, and it's done in quality books, is to print illustrations on their own, different, paper and then refer to the illustration from within the text. It may be that this gives an impression on "class" to your newsletter as well rather than just being an expedient for printing!!

Brian

Djohn 14:32 22 Jul 03

If you pop into your local branch of "Staples", explain what is happening and ask for 5 or 6 samples of different paper, they will be more than happy to help out.

I too do a monthly newsletter and posters for the scheme where I live. I Found Staples to be very helpful in advising me on the correct paper to use for, Draft/Posters/Letters, and Presentation work. j.

hoverman 15:24 22 Jul 03

That's odd. I have had 7 replies to my posting and no emails to say there is a response to any of them.

Thanks for all for your suggestions - much appreciated. I will certainly see if using less ink helps and also make a visit to Staples.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…