Palm to PC transfers

newface 17:25 25 Mar 09

I have been encouraged to buy a second hand Palm PDA. I don't know much about them and I want to find out how easy is it to transfer data to /from a PC. Also can you get word or notepad type software for a Palm?

Charence 01:20 26 Mar 09

Which one do you intend to get?

Palm PDAs have software that will allow you to sync the data on it, it is relatively simple to use. The Palm LifeDrive can also be connected as a removable drive, so you won't actually need any software to transfer data on that (not sure about the TX). If you keep your files on a SD card, you can just read them using a card reader.

Yes, there are applications for you to open word, excel, powerpoint and text files. Documents-to-go is one of them, maybe you can check if this is included when you buy your PDA? You can also view PDFs and there's plenty of other programs.

newface 12:21 26 Mar 09

Thanks charence, I have been told to get a Palm V. I want to be able to do some work mainly using MS Word, or something like it, away from my PC and laptop, and then be able to transfer it easily onto either of them. Is this possible on the Palm V? I don't have enough cash to buy a new model, and was thinking of getting a 2nd hand one from E-bay.
What do you recommend?

Charence 13:18 26 Mar 09

Yes, transferring the files would be done via the provided software on a Palm V. I think you'll have to get a new version of Documents-To-Go (click here) though to open Word files for more convenience since the older versions seemed to require a conversion process I remember.

I'm not sure what to recommend, probably best to see what you can get on EBay and take a look at some reviews as well, click here.

It is probably a good idea to enquire about battery life as well on a 2nd hand device, or consider the cost of replacing the battery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…