Palicomp i5 vortex with GTX660

ianjones87 08:34 AM 27 Feb 13

I really like i5 vortex by Palicomp: http://www.palicomp.co.uk/gaming-pcs/phoenix-i5-vortex.html and the pricing point, can i get a second opinion on the spec please, im curious as to whether to upgrade the power supply so i can get into some BF3 and Crysis 3 action! Also would the 660 be sufficient or should i go AMD?

Chronos the 2nd 10:04 AM 27 Feb 13

You do not need to upgrade the PSU to play BF3 and Crysis 3 but I do note that for £700 the PSU although seems to have a decent amount of watts (650) it does not seem to be a named brand which I would expect for that sort of cash.

Also the ad says that the CPU has been over-clocked to 4.6Ghz yet there is no mention of what heatsink/cooler comes with the PC. A lot more heat is generated after an over-clock and I for one would want to know that there is a decent cooler in the rig.

For £700 it comes in a pretty cheap case (around £35)I would expect more.

I do not believe that this build is worth £700 but I build my own so perhaps am not best placed to judge whether this is good value or not.

As to the games you mentioned. For BF3 this is the sort of frame-rates you will get. BF3. Crysis 3 should be around the same dependent on monitor resolution.

ianjones87 10:18 AM 27 Feb 13

Thanks Chronos, i have no experience of building and i know putting parts together isnt hard but my concern is things going wrong or not setting up the PC properly etc. The quality looks quite good for bf3. Im not sure about the heatsink i might call Palicomp and ask, this will be my first gaming pc as i am a console owner mainly! Do you know if this spec would handle multiple screens?

ianjones87 10:32 AM 27 Feb 13

Interesting Jock1e, ive read an enormous amount of positive reviews on Palicomp through review centre http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews243987.html and their facebook, so not 100% sure on them, they seem quite trustworthy. Do you think that spec would handle multiple screens?

Chronos the 2nd 11:11 AM 27 Feb 13

Do you know if this spec would handle multiple screens?

It will depend on how many screens and the size of the screens. But here is the spec for the GTX 660.

ianjones87 11:57 AM 27 Feb 13

i want 3 like the "eyefinity" setup. and im not sure what the normal size of these are 22 or 24 inch maybe, just hope the 660 can handle it.

Chronos the 2nd 13:16 PM 27 Feb 13

As you can see by the spec in my link that the 660 can handle 4 screens at a maximum resolution of 2560x1600. But you do know that Eyefinity is AMD not Nvidia? And I think you need SLI,two x GTX660 for a similar type of thing with Nvidia. So you might need to switch to an ATI equivalent GPU say the 7870.

ianjones87 13:30 PM 27 Feb 13

i didnt know that - make senses that wherever i see eyefinity it says AMD! Will look into this, Palicomp sales staff have been really helpful so far!

alanrwood 14:04 PM 27 Feb 13

I bought one of their i7 bundles last October and I found them easy to deal with and their support line answered quickly.

ianjones87 14:59 PM 27 Feb 13

alanrwood - thats refreshing to hear.

ianjones87 13:19 PM 28 Feb 13

just to say, i made that order thanks for all the help will keep you updated on my experience with Palicomp

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED