paired memory banks...do they need to be same spec

boybrown 21:37 30 Aug 06

Hi there,

Silly question maybe but I hope that it may be one that other people have thought but not dared to ask....I've go an ASUS P4P800-VM mobo that has 4 RAM slots that can be used as dual channel. Can I use two different pairs of memory or is this impossiblity? i.e. I have 2 x 512 of PC2700 and 2 x 256 @ PC3200.It says in the manual that you can use 4 identical memory units or "identical DIMMS in DIMM A1 and DIMM B1, and indentical DIMMS in DIMM A2 and B2 which would suggest that they could be different DIMMS so long as the pairing was the same within the paied banks. Does anyone have experience of Dual Channel Mobo's?

The manual does not make it clear and the website is not much help either?

cheers

tom :o)

DieSse 23:11 30 Aug 06

The manual is quite correct in theory - and seems quite clear to mem

However it never seems a good idea to mix different speeds of RAM in the same system. They will all have to run at PC2700 speed for a start. And PC32oo RAM, being a different specification, with different sinal timings, may not run happily at PC2700 sppeds.

Then again it might - so much depends on the motherboard and RAM modules themselves, that it's impossible to be categoric.

The worst thing is that it appears to run fine, but under heavy loads gives intermittent errors, which are simply the very worst kind, and virtually impossible to troubleshoot easily.

Long ago I decided I would never build (for myself, or to sell) systems with mixed RAM specs, ever. It's a policy that has served me excellently.

Stuartli 23:22 30 Aug 06

If things are paired then you normally presume that they are identical.

DieSse 23:32 30 Aug 06

My wife and I aren't identical ;-))

Stuartli 23:40 30 Aug 06

Wouldn't be much fun if you were...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos