Painting the fascia of a DVD Player

goose1984 17:24 10 May 05

Hiya all!

I have a blue and silver case but my dvd drives are beige along with my floppy drive. Would it be possible to paint these silver with a spray paint, if so what kinda spray paint would I need?

Cheers

Yoda Knight 17:29 10 May 05

They can usualy clip off, so you you can do whatever you like to them and then put them back on

DJ Supreme 17:39 10 May 05

with my DVD player/Writer, it came with a cream/black fascia, dont know if it will be easy to buy one (if possible)

Im not sure if it will require a prime coat, then an overcoat, or just wack it straight on, not sure.

If you have any spare plastic of a similiar material, just test it on there, see if it rubs off or not.

It might also be worth taking into account of will the drive get hot or not? It shouldnt matter, but just as a precaution :)

Diemmess 17:43 10 May 05

Yes DO unclip first, ...... the only way to avoid a disaster from a wisp of overspray in the works.

I think most of the current enamels from a vehicle spares supermarket (Halfords, Motorworld) would be safe on the plastic, where the older cellulose based ones might soften the surface and craze it.

Provided you choose the "right" silver and settle for several minimal coats rather than one blast, it should look fine.

fitcher 18:13 10 May 05

do not spray get some aluminium paint and use a small fine brush. mine is fine .and so is my printer that I painted,, .(after forty years as a painter I should make a good job eh )spraying . could get in side

Fellsider 19:25 10 May 05

.... think most of the current enamels from a vehicle spares supermarket (Halfords, Motorworld) would be safe on the plastic, where the older cellulose based ones might soften the surface and craze it.....

I would suggest getting the paint that you can use on car plastic (bumpers, mirror housings etc.) it may need a particular primer first though.

jack 19:50 10 May 05

Current Auto finishes are Acrylic [ water based]
Take a long read of the can, you may need primer
white perhaps as opposed to grey and clear varnish
to finish

woodchip 19:51 10 May 05

Plastic does not go well with paint If you want a cheap way use a bit of silver ducting tape

Pooke100 19:55 10 May 05

I wouldn't bother with painting, there are some good bargains at the moment, sell your old stuff and get new??? I got a silver floppy drive for a fiver! click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…