Painting a case

Pnoom 10:15 23 Feb 06

Morning all. I've just been given rather a nice second-hand Chieftec tower case in basically good condition apart from several fairly nasty scratches which go right down to bare metal.

I should'nt have any problem filling the scratches and a couple of small "dings" with isopon or similar, but I was wondering if there's a suitable generic beige shade of spray paint which would match the original as closely as possible? I've had a quick look in the local Halford's, but nothing really struck me.

Bear in mind that I'm boring and rather like my beige computer gear - no suggestions for Ferrari red with racing stripes, please!

Thanks, Dave

Diemmess 10:32 23 Feb 06

If you have one of those knockout panels or a spare CD drive, anything which is the appropriate guage you could tke it to a motor accessory supplier and compare with a swatch to find the right shade.
They may also be able to match the semigloss type of finish.

I can buy whatever I want from a local firm who mix a 400ml aerosol for just over £10

oldal 10:33 23 Feb 06

You could visit your local Dulux shop and get them to do a colour match. You can then have a small sample tin made up for under a fiver

Diemmess 10:33 23 Feb 06

For mis-spelt "guage" read shade!

Diemmess 10:35 23 Feb 06

Should have thought of oldal's idea first, because of the semi-gloss finish.

I'd leave brush marks with that though!

oldal 10:38 23 Feb 06

I always use a mini-roller for that sort of job.

SANTOS7 10:43 23 Feb 06

Cheaper to just bash it about a bit more, going for the well used look!!! (sorry)
Diemmess is on the right track have used that method myself...

Totally-braindead 10:51 23 Feb 06

If its just a few small scratches then I'd suggest some Humbrol Enamel from your local toy/model shop. Comes in probably hundreds of colours so there must be a match there somewhere.

€dstowe 13:41 23 Feb 06

If you look at computers lined up in somewhere like PCWorld you'll see that far from there being a standard "computer beige" they all vary a bit in shade from each other. This shows up as well with installed addons like optical drives etc being different in clour to teh case they are installed in.

What I'm trying to say is that you'll have to get something mixed up specially to give an exact match - unless you intend repainting the whole case.

Pnoom 10:18 24 Feb 06

Thanks all - some good ideas here. I'm not too bothered about it being an exact match, but I think I'll go with Diemmess' idea and have something mixed locally. May as well paint the whole thing (apart from the plastic front) while I'm at it.

Thanks again,

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos