Painfully Slow Web??

roygbiv 12:21 22 Oct 05

My PC (?) has suddenly gone very slow?. when i am on the internet the cursor has a eggtimer by it and the page takes a (long) while to load.

Have done obvious things - Virus scan, spybot, adaware, defrag, empty cookies, empty temp files,.
It was OK thursday. Friday pm was getting slower, Saturday even slower.

win XP home, BT Basic BB (2mb) now download 559kbps upload 245kbps, Nothing has been changed (installed Etc) for this to happen.

TIA Alan

splork 12:45 22 Oct 05

Does it only occur with Internet Explorer ? Try a speed test to see if your connection is actually slowing down click here
Try Firefox and see if browsing improves, in which case IE is to blame click here

Oh, and which version of Windows are you using?

Nuneatonian 13:23 22 Oct 05

I have been having the same problem thought it was my computer, or Wanadoo. I've got Windows ME IE 6.

roygbiv 13:24 22 Oct 05

XP home, BT basic BB (2mb) now avverage 550 kbps.
As soon as i click on a link or open a new page it takes over 10 secs. to appear !! (this used to happen INSTANTLY. the problem has "just appeared"

I have just realisised that AVG updated at the time this problem happened, is this the cause ?

splork 14:02 22 Oct 05

I have another machine running AVG and it's working fine, although that's not a guarantee. As I said, give Firefox a try click here and see if it's more responsive.

splork 14:04 22 Oct 05

That's not a `fix`, just helps to narrow down the problem - if you want to try turning off all the Addons in IE6 to see if that helps, go to Tools/Manage AddOns in IE itself, disable them all and see if it speeds up.

splork 14:12 22 Oct 05

Sorry, I don't think you can do `manage addons` in IE6 for Windows ME. try ping from the command line - ping for example - if you're on broadband you should see a response time of around 12-20ms, if not try a few more .uk sites. If they're all significantly slower than that, your connection is slow, or there's heavy network traffic.

roygbiv 14:38 22 Oct 05

How do I ping?? if you mean putt an addrres in the address bar and click go it takes around 25 seconds (all sites), or file- new- window - favourites, (OK) click on adrress wait 25 seconds!!.

VoG II 14:40 22 Oct 05

Start, Run, type

and click OK. At the > prompt type

splork 14:45 22 Oct 05

Yes, follow Vog's advice, I should have made it clearer.

roygbiv 14:46 22 Oct 05

Average 2835ms good or bad ??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…