Painfully slow modem connection on Dell :( - Ideas

GibsonSt19 16:46 19 Jan 04

Hi there, I'm sitting at a Packard Bell, sorry not Dell as in he title, but whenever I try to connect via the Aztech CNR v.92 modem it either:

a. Doesn't connect at all
b. Connects very slowly (i.e.16.0kbps, occasionally @ 21).

I've spoken to BT about this and they advise that they cannot increase the gain, as it will affect the PC downstairs which connects via a broadband connection.

I understand the logistics of having the two connections, and that to use one, the other needs to be disconnected.

Any ideas why I'm getting such poor speeds?

GibsonSt19 16:49 19 Jan 04

I'm on a no-ties account with Freeserve

hugh-265156 17:16 19 Jan 04

also try removing any other phone ext sockets running from the main box and plugging the modem directly into the main bt box,do not use an extension.

hugh-265156 17:26 19 Jan 04

see if updated modem drivers might help if available click here

fred 22:36 19 Jan 04

Freeserve seems to be struggling after the christmas surge in new users. A friend has repeatedly moaned to me about refusal to connect to freeserve and, eventually, a very slow connection. When connected to virgin the speed was very much faster and far more reliable. How many thousand freeserve CD's have been given away with new machines?

Personally I have no probs with bt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…