Painfully slow 600k broadband

joelmb 18:14 04 May 04

I've got an NTL 600k Broadband connection which 99% of time works fine. Today however its gone horribly slow all of a sudden. I called NTL suspecting it was their service but was told there was no problems their end.

He then directed me to use 'Netstat -a' command from run prompt. This says i have about 25 programs or apps listed as 'Listening' on my connection which he reckons there should be only 11 or so and thus are accounting for the slow down. So i ran spyware and adaware but they find nothing. I uninstalled Kazaa in case this was causing problems, and although ever so slightly faster now, still have too many progs 'Listening'.

Any idea how i can choose which I need, and permanently prevent those unwanted 'Listening' progs?

Lobsang 18:19 04 May 04

I'm using 150k bb, just typed in that command and i have 20 - 30 listening programs, but my speed is same as always.

Wes Tam ;-) 18:34 04 May 04

Could be something to do with the planned service maintenance they mention on their service page click here perhaps.

Brian-318590 19:32 04 May 04

hi is that command on win xp?i can,t get it to work

TommyRed 19:46 04 May 04

I get it to work but it closes nearly as quick as it opens, not giving me time to read the results. Any ideas?

slugo, I'm on XP and it does work though not correctly for me, ensure there is a space after Netstat and before -a, and no highlights ' HTH TR

VoG II 19:48 04 May 04

Start, Run, type in

cmd

and click OK

then type

netstat -a

at the > prompt and press Enter.

accord 19:50 04 May 04

click here

its fine here on my 600k

Brian-318590 19:56 04 May 04

got it to work 11 listening points

keith-236785 20:39 04 May 04

winxp pro, 19 Listening on my system, NTL is runing fast then slow tonight, Huddersfield area.

if you want to try something, power down your pc, unplug your modem for about two minutes then plug back in, wait till you get solid lights on your modem then power up your pc again, see if that helps.

Andybear 20:52 04 May 04

I've got 600k BB. 25 listening points and it's faster tonight than it's been for yonks - North Hertfordshire area. (It'll probably go up the creek, now I've said that!!)

joelmb 21:09 04 May 04

It's weird, since posting this originally it sped up, but now has slowed down again on certain sites including this one - this page took about 2 minutes to load! Infuriating. I think its more to do with NTL Cardiff (here) than any malware listening on the connection.

Ive done an online click here speed test which although the page takes a while longer than it normally does to load, reports 597 which is fine. Really confused!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…