Pain of new Router

john bunyan 17:21 28 Sep 11
Answered

My Belkin N+ router packed up yesterday (I think, I tried many times to reset it ). I bought a new Belkin Share N300. Tried to install using the Cd but no joy. As I had no internet connection, I had to phone the shop to get Belkin's Tech help No. Spoke to a lady whom I could scarcely hear, but there was a problem with my log in to my ISP (Pipex /Talk Talk). Again had some difficulty phoning them. Eventually had to speak to a senior advisor who somehow by line checking etc and changing my log on pssword, got it working. This is not the first time; A Linksys and the previous Belkin needed tech help. I am reasonanly savvy but wireless modem routers seem to be far from easy to install. Also lesson learnt on keeping Tech help phone nos for use when no internet access available.

gengiscant 08:13 29 Sep 11

I have used Netgear routers for sometime now and no matter what piece of cheap junk an ISP will send to me I will use my Netgear. Yes it does mean making sure I have the necessary setting to hand, these can usually be found on an ISP's website, usually the forums as others will have set up the same router and invariably share the info. Touch wood I have never had any problems except one weekend when a Netgear router failed and the only spare router I had to hand was a TP-link,I never ever got online with that thing.

Many years ago I also had a Belkin and also had problems I phoned a number in the USA and in a short time was up and running, it was a Saturday morning as well, most impressed.

Woolwell 13:57 29 Sep 11
Answer

When I first had a router (D-Link) I found it a bit daunting. Since then I have set up Belkin and D-Link again (last one supplied by Virgin) and I have found that the wizards supplied with the router have improved over the years. This last time it wasn't any hassle at all.

I have found both D-Link and Belkin help lines to be good.

john bunyan 15:17 29 Sep 11

Woolwell. I agree . My problem (self inflicted) was that when my old router went belly up, as I had no internet connection, I had lost the tech help phone numbers of my ISP and of Belkin. In the end my ISP were the more helpful of the two as my ISP ID was slightly different to my e Mail address etc.I now have a hard copy of these details. I was just pointing out a lesson learnt. I still think that compared with other hardware, modem / routers are not as easy as other items. Also I regret that hardly any hardware has a hard copy manual (getting old!)

Woolwell 15:57 29 Sep 11

I couldn't agree more about the lack of a manual.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5