Paging file removal.

Mysticnas 11:24 19 Sep 05

Hi all,

I have found a 2Gb Pagefile.sys on my OS drive which was last modified about a month or so ago.

Considering it was last modified a month ago, would it cause any problems if i deleted it?

Thanks all.

Sethhaniel 11:38 19 Sep 05

as windows will probably put it straight back for uo ;)
Windows uses this area of the hard drive as though it was RAM - you can alter its size under System Properties - Perfomance Options -Advanced

where you can set it to fixed - approx 1.5 times your RAM - or let windows manage itself -

Mysticnas 12:10 19 Sep 05

I changed the drive where it was, basically i set it onto a seperate drive.

I've got 2gb of DDR so i thought i'd turn it off altogether, but apps like photoshop/3D max/premiere, tend to slow down and sometimes have trouble running at all. So i just put the paging file on a seperate drive and it seems to work a lot faster now.

My only concern here was whether windows would at some point refer to the contents of the pagefile.sys that was last modified a month ago and fall over cuz it's not there.

Thanks ;o)

Sethhaniel 12:40 19 Sep 05

as it is often turned off during defrag so that all disc space fragments can be ordered - and then turned on afterwards

Mysticnas 12:56 19 Sep 05

well.. you see...

This is where i noticed it. Defrag left 2gb of space fragmented and i found it it was the old pagefile.sys. No matter how many times i tried defragging it, it wouldn't budge.

Sethhaniel 11:16 23 Sep 05

Clear the Page File at System Shutdown (Windows NT/2000/XP)click here
Windows does not normally clear or recreate the page file. On a heavily used system this can be both a security threat and performance drop. Enabling this setting will cause Windows to clear the page file whenever the system is shutdown.

interzone55 11:29 23 Sep 05

How did you move the pagefile?

Normally when you set it to a different drive the old one is deleted, as it's now redundant.

No matter how much ram you have, windows still needs a page file because it doesn't like to fill physical ram it dumps anything that is not of immediate use into the pagefile.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…