paging file hassles

daivey 07:40 02 Feb 04

hello hello,

I've just bought a new pc with windows xp pro installed and I'm having some problems adjusting the paging file settings.

Been running fine for a week or so, but the last couple of days its been having problems shutting down and booting up. also giving me an error report that I don't have a paging file to create enough virtual memory to run my programs.
I've followed the instructions given to alter the paging file but the system won't acknowledge any changes...

I thought it may be an access problem, but I am logged as the only system administrator and I've been in an allowed full access to all user groups but still nothing..

Any thoughts?

MichelleC 08:51 02 Feb 04

The way I change paging on w2k is:

Control Panel/System/Advanced Settings/Performance Options/Change, and as I work with large dv files my paging min and max are same, with 2-3 times ram total (ie ram 391 so paging is 1000).

daivey 11:50 02 Feb 04

yeah thats what I've tried to do, but for whatever reason its not accepting that change. When I reboot it still reads as 0MB being used in the paging file.
something to do with access I guess, or a bug in xp...?

MichelleC 13:18 02 Feb 04

This is a new one to me. Are you clicking 'set' after each paging allocation to each hd? Tried sfc /scannow?

daivey 23:45 02 Feb 04

Yep, definatly doing that, pc asks if I want to reboot so it must be recognising a change being at least entered. um, not sure what you mean by sfc/scannow.. but if they're virus scanners I've tried one and it pulled up nowt.
I've got a feeling I've just changed something really small and stupid somewhere, but I'll be buggered if I can remember what it is!

VoG II 23:52 02 Feb 04

Start, Run, type in

SFC /SCANNOW

and click OK. Have your Windows CD to hand.

daivey 03:31 03 Feb 04

oh right, well, problem there is I don't have an xp disc.... they left it on from the shop....
Is there any way of seeing what changes I've made to windows over the past couple of days, like an actions list or something?

temp003 08:26 03 Feb 04

click here and look at the 7th post, about updating or changing the driver for the IDE controllers.

If that doesn't work, search your computer to see if you have a file called tpkd.sys. If you don't, forget it. If you do, click here and have a read and download the XP compliant file from click here

daivey 12:06 03 Feb 04

yes! thankyou thankyou thankyou! had to download the tpkd driver but all is now well! nice one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…