Page Redirection _blank

Charence 00:02 01 Jun 04

Hi,

I'm using the code META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" target="_blank" CONTENT="1; URL=http //members.lycos.co.uk/pcnonsense/forums/">
to attempt to redirect to a forum and have the forum open in a new page. This however does not work.

Any ideas? click here

Thanks, Charence

PS - any suggestions, posting in my forum also welcome!

Taran 12:34 01 Jun 04

New browser windows have a lot of potential problems.

I know how to do an automated new browser window redirect with PHP, ASP and PHP/ASP combined with JavaScript but to my knowledge it can't be done with a simple header refresh.

I'm happy to be proven wrong though and no doubt I'll learn something along the way.

Is a simple hyperlink out of the question with a target="_blank" included into the link code ?

The only reason I ask is that JavaScript is not 100% reliable if your visitors browser has it disabled or not installed, and I don't relish the thought of explaining how to code up a dynamic page unless you have a strong grasp of PHP or ASP.

To do it using a frameset you include your header redirect in the framed page but target the parent frame. This loads the URL in the refresh into the parent frame, overwriting whatever is in there.

I know it isn't the same as a new browser window but it works. Then again, it uses frames and the world and his wife knows how I feel about them.

I'll have a think but off the top of myh ead I can't come up with a simple code snippet for page redirects that involve a new browser window.

Charence 23:48 01 Jun 04

I have used javascript to produce the redirection. I will include it below for you.

<HTML>

<HEAD>

<script>

<!--

function forumblank(){

window.open
('click here','forum');

}

//-->

</script>

<TITLE>Forum Loading...</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY onLoad="forumblank()">

<P align="center"><A
HREF="javascript:forumblank();">Click here if Forum does not load</A></P>

</BODY>

</HTML>

I have found that it is blocked by pop up blockers, so I have also included a button to click. If you have any suggestions to avoid popup blocker, they are very welcome!

Thanks,

Charence

Charence 23:48 01 Jun 04

I have used javascript to produce the redirection. I will include it below for you.

<HTML>

<HEAD>

<script>

<!--

function forumblank(){

window.open
('click here','forum');

}

//-->

</script>

<TITLE>Forum Loading...</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY onLoad="forumblank()">

<P align="center"><A
HREF="javascript:forumblank();">Click here if Forum does not load</A></P>

</BODY>

</HTML>

I have found that it is blocked by pop up blockers, so I have also included a button to click. If you have any suggestions to avoid popup blocker, they are very welcome!

Thanks,

Charence

Taran 09:10 02 Jun 04

I am well aware of that type of script but if you refer to my post above you will see my comment "JavaScript is not 100% reliable if your visitors browser has it disabled or not installed" which is why I didn't suggest something along those lines.

However if you're happy with it then good luck.

Charence 18:06 02 Jun 04

I have found some problems with the code, and am still trying to find other ways to redirect the page.

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017