Page Numbering in Word

Sir Radfordin 09:54 24 Apr 04

I had thought I was going mad but it apears not to be so.

I've got a Word document that is about 55 pages long. In the footer it says Page X of Y and when you do Print Preview it changes X and Y to the correct values.

However when you print (Windows XP SP1 to HP Deskjet 920c or Epson C60) it changes the footer to be X of X which is fairly pointless!

Any ideas??

(Its a long standing problem but I just thought I had lost the plot prior to testing 5 minutes ago)

VoG II 10:00 24 Apr 04

I have had this but only in a particular document and I can't remember what I did to solve it!

Try highlighting the text in the footer, press F9, then try printing.

Diodorus Siculus 10:05 24 Apr 04

Can you set up a new document, copy the text and paste it into the new one? There may be a problem in the formatting somewhere or other...

Peter 10:24 24 Apr 04

Sir Radfordin,

This was a "known problem" in Word 97. I have found that this solution works for me.

Open Word and select Options from the Tools menu. Select the Save tab and disable the "Allow background saves" option. Select the "Page X of Y" in your footer and press the F9 key to update it. Save your document and when you reopen it your problem should have gone away.

Peter.

Sir Radfordin 10:57 24 Apr 04

Diodorus Siculus - clutch away my friend! I'm fairly sure this isn't it as it has happened on several documents over the last few months and the most recent one is already into its 17th edition!

Peter/VoG I'll try that next time I'm printing!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…