'Page not displayed' message

Wayne690 14:43 16 Sep 04

Using Windows 98 on my PC I connect to the Internet using my broadband connection but am almost always getting the 'page cannot be displayed' message for any site I try to visit. I have to shut down and restart to eventually get onto the Internet and even then the session only lasts for a few minutes before I get the same message. I do not have a virus (using AVG) and run 'Registry Mechanic' regularly.
Any ideas?

Baledor 14:48 16 Sep 04

internet?

gunner-joe 15:20 16 Sep 04

your firewall or internet options might be stopping you. Have you recieved e-mail and what browser do you use?

SEASHANTY 15:24 16 Sep 04

Try using another browser like Firefox
click here

gunner-joe 19:30 16 Sep 04

You don't say what browser you are using and I am lost as to what to advise. You obviously have a connection. I can say that it sounds as if your internet options are misconfigured or you have a virus. To use the internet these days you must use a firewall as there are too many risks out there!You can access internet options by clicking tools,internet options,delete cookies. Then delete files, including "offline content".
Also click "settings" and click "view Files" to see if there are any dubious files and also "View Objects". Some of the files and objects showing should be deleted but be careful.In any doubt, do a system restore before removing anything you are not sure of.

Wayne690 12:20 18 Sep 04

There's definetly no viruses. My broadband connection manager shows I'm connected, everything is healthy and normal. But when I try to open either Opera or Internet Explorer I get the message 'connection closed by remote server' or cannot locate remote server' I have deleted all temporary files, cookies etc as suggested by gunner-joe. I'm lost! This PC (not mine) operates on the same Internet broadband connection and it works ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…