Page can not be displayed

ABI2GAIL 00:18 30 May 06

I am obviously missing something obvious. I can connect to the internet and get my home page but cant access any other pages, it just comes up with page cant be displayed. Any ideas.Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 01:29 30 May 06

What we are missing are details:-)

What operating system?

What browser?

What type of connection?

A quick fix if you have broadband via a modem/router would be to reboot it and see what happens.

ABI2GAIL 10:05 30 May 06

Ok, windows xp, internet explorer and dial up connection. hope that is enough info.

martjc 10:15 30 May 06

...saved for offline viewing? That would explain why you can see it but nothing else - your connection is not working.
Firstly, check all cables and plugs behind the machine - even the one that goes into the 'phone wall socket.
If all o.k. post back here.

ABI2GAIL 10:31 30 May 06

There is no problem with the connection as I have changed my home page . All I can access is one page when i go on line, I have tried google bbc and blueyonder as my homepages and can see them, but as soon as I try to access another page or site, it can not be displayed.....

martjc 11:28 30 May 06

...only changing the page in the browser? If you keep getting 'Page cannot be displayed' error, your connection is DEFINITELY at fault.

961 11:45 30 May 06

What firewall and firewall settings do you have?

terryf 12:19 30 May 06

As an experiment go to tools>internet options>general tab and click on 'delete files' then see if you can still see your home page. click here
Go to Start>run and type cmd, then in the window that opens, use Ping to test the network connection in your computer by typing ping 127.0.0.1. If you receive “Request timed out,” then your computer is having trouble connecting to its own network card. Check your network settings or call your ISP for help.

# If the previous step says that your computer and network card are successfully communicating, use Ping to test the connection to your default gateway. Find the IP address of your default gateway by using ipconfig. If you receive a “Request timed out” message, there may be a problem with your default gateway, whether it is your ISP or local router. Call your ISP for help.

martjc 12:53 30 May 06

You may have missed the point. abi2gail is on a dialup connection - no mention of a network.

ABI2GAIL 11:14 01 Jun 06

so, I have changed it from dial up to broadband on a network. says connection is good. so seems to be no problems there .not really sure where to go from here. not really wanting to connect at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…