Page Banners frontpage 2002

machow 21:16 31 Oct 03

Hi all.

Not entirely sure if this is what i need. but i think i want to create a standard banner for my entire web site. I have an image that i want to insert however when i try to. it only fills bout an inch of space. how do i make it stretch across entire page??

Or do i need to repeat the image over and over again?

Im stuck!

Taran 22:08 31 Oct 03

It very much depends, was the unhelpful reply.

If you want a common graphic on every page, making your mind up on its size is your first port of call.

There's no real hard and fast rule about how big a banner image should be. I normally make mine around 350 to 450 pixels wide by between 90 and 130 pixels high, as a rough guideline.

A lot depends on what you want to put on the banner and which graphics program you have. In general though, anything of around the above dimensions saved either as a JPG or preferably a GIF file will load quickly and still look good.

Right click on your current image and select properties. Check out its dimensions and see how big it is.

If you insert an image in FrontPage you can call up the image properties in relation to the page it is on and alter the displayed size. Be warned though, it's a very poor habit to get into.

As an example, let's say you have an 800 x 400 pixel JPG image. This would be a reasonably large file and would take a little while to download and display online. A lot of newcomers to web design make the mistake of resizing their images in the web editor - that is, you use FrontPage, Dreamweaver or whatever to display the image at, say, 400 x 200.

It means that the large original source image still has to download online and you waste that download time by showing it as a smaller picture.

Doing things the other way, by setting an image size to be larger than the original on the web page often results in poor image quality since you lose some detail whenever you enlarge a picture.

I'd suggest you try and recreate your graphic at a suitable size for a page banner or at least check out the original file and see what its dimensions are. You can right click on the image in FrontPage and select Properties and see if a specified height and width are selected or whether it is being displayed in its native size.

machow 22:13 31 Oct 03

I had a look at your Fire frost website you added to my last query (which i seem to have an awful lot of!)

I think i understand after looking at the source code, how it has been done.

I do have photoshop7, although never used as yet. would it be possible to design my own image there, and use it as a strip along the top of all my pages?

Taran 22:39 31 Oct 03

Yes, Photoshop is the market leading graphics application, but it has a steep learning curve.

To save me loads of typing, go to Google and use these search fields, including the quote marks:

"photoshop"+"banner"+how to

You'll get more information on how to create your banner in Photoshop than you'll know what to do with.

Paint Shop Pro and Ulead PhotoImpact are far easier to use and are, in my view, far more user friendly. Photoshop is superb, but you need training to get the best out of it whereas other programs allow you to more or less hit the ground running.

The Firefrost web was a fictional site generated in a couple of hours to show one or two people in here that FrontPage was not all cheesy themes and lousy results. I've since used it to test students on design concepts and site evaluation so it's served its purpose. I leave it on there for those who want to look and if it helps at all, more power to it. If you downloaded the site as a Zip file, unpack it to your My Webs folder in My Documents. That is the default FrontPage web folder and if you put it in there it should more or less work as though you built it yourself. Pull it apart, break it, fix it and put it back together again. It should be a useful learning tool if nothing else.

Once you get your site text copy prepared using your favourite word processor, do your graphics and then put it all together in the site itself.

It's a good idea to have a firm plan of action in terms of site design and layout, structure (how many pages and which ones link to which) and so on. All plans change as you go along and designing sites is a good example of this, but it does help to have some idea of where you're heading, otherwise you'll never get there.

It helps newcomers sometimes to design the site layout and appearance in a desktop publishing program, or even using old fashioned pen and paper. You need goals and they need to be achievable. A good plan of the site helps you get there.

Good luck with it.

machow 22:44 31 Oct 03

thanks again.

i have downloaded the zip file and have been having a good look at everything there.

I havent saved it to myWebs, so i will have to do that.

So its better to put in all the text and then add the pretty bits.

Taran 23:07 31 Oct 03

The way I do it is not necessarily the way other designers generate their sites.

I normally make a Word document and subdivide it into sections;

about us

our services

contact us

The above is a pretty typical common small business site. Our Services will often have a number of child pages. Home will often not be required since for many sites the index page is also the home Page.

Once you have an idea of your site structure, you break the Word document into relevant subsections and type up your text copy. It's also a good opportunity to spell and grammar check, as well as word count. Web pages are pretty small in most cases, and while you can fit a reasonable amount of text into a page, unless you want to get into vertical scroll pages you'll have to limit what you say. This is where a logical structure comes into play.

If one of the services the site offers has lots of text, it may cover two or three child pages below the Our Services page.

Getting the look and navigation right is just as important as filling the pages with clear and relevant content, whether text or image based.

Bounce some ideas around, have a look online at sites of a similar nature to the one you are thinking of making and see what you like and what you don't. I'm not suggesting for a moment that you swipe someone else's work or ideas, but it can help a lot to look around and say yes or no to various designs, colour schemes, fonts and so on.

There are no hard and fast rules in getting it right but there are plenty of ways to go wrong.

For some sites, the look leads the site whereas for most of the sites I do, the look is there to (hopefully) compliment the content. If you get the one right its surprising how much easier the other becomes.

Taran 23:11 31 Oct 03

I should have added that a useful starting point to seeing how a business site can go together is to crank up FrontPage and create a new web, but this time create it by using one of the business site wizards.

Follow the prompts when FrontPage asks how many products you have, what are your services and so on. See how the site is structured; which elements are where and why ?

It can be a great learning aid to newcomers to examine the entire site, its structure, how all the pages link together, why some of them are not joined to all others and so on.

You should also check out the view options in FrontPage. Try looking at the site by Navigation, or Hyperlinks from the View drop down menu. This will show you how the site structure works and how each page may link to some, not to others and how deep the navigation structure goes.

machow 23:20 31 Oct 03

I had a look at the corporate wizard, and it confused me a little. Although i agree, it did help me get an idea of how my site should be structured.

My head hurts now, so i think i will leave it till tmrw.

Cheers Taran

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…