Padlocked folders

cowgirl66 09:59 20 Jan 11

Hi, I was surprised to say the least when I logged on to my computer this morning, went into Start>MyName and found that all the folders in there, such as My Documents, My Pictures, Downloads etc have all got padlocks on them. When I left click on these locked folders I can actually access what is inside. These padlocks appear if I go through C:\User\MyName\MyDocuments as well. I am the only user of my computer,which has windows7 on it. Can anyone tell me how to remove these padlocks? And why they are there in the first place?

Regards cowgirl66

howard64 11:12 20 Jan 11

if this has just happened try system restore to go back to before.

cowgirl66 12:04 20 Jan 11

Thank you Howard. I will try that if all else fails but truth be told I would like to know first how to change this manually so that I can stop it from happening again.

iambeavis 12:10 20 Jan 11
  rdave13 12:16 20 Jan 11

The padlocks are there to show that the folders aren't shared folders.

cowgirl66 12:22 20 Jan 11

so how do I set them to share, please?

rdave13 12:31 20 Jan 11

Try right clicking the folder, properties, share tab then advances sharing tab and click on share this folder. On Vista at the moment so this is from memory but should be a good enough guide.

cowgirl66 12:44 20 Jan 11

Thank you, rdave. I will do this later but right now can't get to my own computer. Will post again to let you know how it goes.

Regards cowgirl66

sunnystaines 13:43 20 Jan 11

its not our fe getting carried away with his red padlocks is it.

GaT7 13:48 20 Jan 11

As you are the only user of the computer, & who has free access to the padlocked folders, why do you want to change anything? What problem is it causing? G

cowgirl66 16:20 20 Jan 11

I like your theory very much! He better not have lost the key though or I'll have being having words with him :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…