Packets sent..but not received-Help!!

buel 21:25 13 Apr 09

Hi,
My other laptop i have just got today (2nd hand) apparently had no wireless capability so i used the Netgear wireless card that the man supplied with it, he connected ok to his wireless network but since i got it home it hasn't been able to connect to mine!
Here's the thing: At his house there was no 'wireless capability' as such so that's why he gave me the brand new Netgear wirless card BUT since iv got home the Netgear says it is connected but there now IS a windows 'wireless network connection' symbol that has appeared, although it says 'limited or no connectivity'. So this must mean that the laptop IS capable of wireless connectivity after all??

cream. 21:43 13 Apr 09

Go to network connections > right click wireless network > properties and the view wireless networks.

Add your network, with ssid and the wep key. Then move up your network to the top and see if the remove tab comes up for the old network.

You should then have it on the network.

buel 21:51 13 Apr 09

Went to 'view wirless networks' and it says 'Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled another programme to configure this wireless connection, use that software'....Im guessing that means the Netgear? But there is no need for the Netgear if this laptop is capable of wireless networking is there? Ps- how do i make a contribution to this wonderful forum, you have been so much help to me!!

buel 21:56 13 Apr 09

Ps- it connecets with the ethernet cable!!

cream. 21:58 13 Apr 09

What's the make and model of the laptop?

I'll check and see if it has WiFi capability.

phono 22:02 13 Apr 09

Either you will have to use the Netgear software to configure your wireless connection or you could disable, or uninstall, that software and use Windows Wireless Zero Configuration to set up the connection.

Instructions for enabling WZC at click here and click here

buel 22:08 13 Apr 09

Thanks phono.
Cream, how do i get the make and model, is it 'properties' on 'my computer'?

cream. 22:11 13 Apr 09

Is it not printed on the top or bottom of the laptop

or use

click here

phono 22:30 13 Apr 09

Just noticed your post "Ps- it connecets with the ethernet cable!!"

Why are you using an ethernet cable if you are trying to set up a wireless network, or am I missing something?

buel 22:36 13 Apr 09

I just thought id verify that it could actually connect to the internet wired, it can and i have disconnected it! Ok, i have run the exe file you gave me the link for and i ran it and there is no icon on the desktop? Iv tried it on my other laptop too...

buel 22:40 13 Apr 09

Ah, iv had to go to 'My programmes'...bear with me...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…