Packet Loss problem

Flak999 22:26 02 Oct 09

Don't know if anybody has any ideas about this? During the evenings and weekends I get very high packet loss problems when playing online games.

I have an 8mg connection with Orange, and being close to the exchange get a good 6mg download rate most of the time. The game server I connect to is in the USA and during the day I don't have a problem, but come the evening and at weekends although maintaining a decent download rate the packet loss is so high as to make the game unplayable.

If I connect to a different game server in the UK I don't have this problem, is this just something I have to live with because of the distance involved or is there some remedy I can try? I have contacted my ISP who have been singularly unhelpful and say there is nothing they can do.

Flak999 18:56 03 Oct 09

Anyone?

bremner 19:17 03 Oct 09

What you describe suggests the issue is with the US server.

With the US being between 5 - 8 hrs behind it may be that there is not a high usage from US users on that server during weekday daytime in the UK. Once the yanks get up and running (our evenings and at weekends) the server has difficulty coping and this results in the packet loss you are experiencing.

woodchip 19:19 03 Oct 09

You need to lower the MTU settings on your computer, If you use a Router you should change them first. You could try this it works for me SG TCP Optimizer click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…