packard bell psu

hzhzhzhz 09:27 11 Mar 07

I've inherited a packard bell comp.What does the 12v input do?. Its been running for days without being plugged in lol.

Gongoozler 09:33 11 Mar 07

Which model PB, and where is this 12V input?

hzhzhzhz 09:36 11 Mar 07

Well, its a celeron D 2.6 and has a 12v supply to the left of the main supply

Gongoozler 09:49 11 Mar 07

As I don't know what model you have, I can't look up any data on it. If the 12V connector is a plug, i.e. it has 2 exposed pins, I would guess that the computer is capable of being run from a 12V battery such as a car cigar lighter socket. If the 12V connector is a socket, i.e. it has 2 receptacles, I would guess that it is a 12V output to power auxiliary equipment such as an LCD monitor that would otherwise use a 12V mains power adapter.

hzhzhzhz 09:50 11 Mar 07

Its an imedia 1401. I'm googling but no joy yet lol.

hzhzhzhz 09:52 11 Mar 07

The mains lead splits into 2. One is the main supply and the other goes to a 12 v transformer and plugs into the left hand side of the psu.

Gongoozler 10:01 11 Mar 07

Have you tried the Packard Bell web site click here.
Packard Bell do some strange things at times, often nothing like any other PC. I have to go out for the rest of the day, but will check this thread when I get home.

hzhzhzhz 10:06 11 Mar 07

I hate these package pc's. Never quite sure what makes 'em tick. Perhaps the 12v supply powered a monitor but what is the 12v socket on the back for?. I've had it plugged in there and not seen any smoke lol.

Gongoozler 16:04 11 Mar 07

I've looked at the manual click here, and even the power supply repair document in Dutch click here, but can't find any reference to a 12V input or output.
I agree with you about packaged PCs. They are made for people who have no interest in what's inside the box.

crosstrainer 16:12 11 Mar 07

I might be wrong, but these old machines often came with a scanner and speakers, i have seen that 12v line used to power either.

phono 16:17 11 Mar 07

I believe the socket concerned is an output socket and was used on some models to power speakers, all PB PSUs that I have personally seen have had this socket fitted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017