//some 3rd party need geo

Packard Bell owners - PLEASE READ THIS

Giggle n' Bits 01:25 26 Jun 04

I have seen many occassions where owners of Packard Bell computers are protected against virus infections.

Most Packard Bell computers come with Norton internet security or Norton Anti Virus software Pre-Installed. And often these are OEM 90 Day only subscriptions !

I often get called out to Packard systems to remove viruses becuase the owners do not update nor subscribe for a full years update of the software.

This causes the machine not to have any protection against newer Virus infections.

Norton Anti-Virus needs to be registered and subscribed to when a subscription Expires at a cost of around £17 - £22 but it will stop or assist in protecting your machine for another year.

The older Packard Bells running Win98/98Se and ME when the subcription to Norton Expires will disable.

Many people are unaware that they need to Regsiter & subscibe to Norton Anti-Virus software.

Also when signing up to a new ISP running XP Home I see people not ticking and enabling Firewall Protection.

Hope someone benefits from my posting.

johnnyrocker 01:36 26 Jun 04

just click here

johnny.

Giggle n' Bits 01:45 26 Jun 04

but I am pointing out that the Packard Bell systems have Pre-installed Norton that people do not know how to manage nor keep updated. If they carn't manage to do it with Norton AVG won't help.

As running AVG & Norton will cause a Conflict.

Forum Editor 08:29 26 Jun 04

come with preinstalled trial versions of anti-virus software - this isn't something specific to Packard Bell machines.

As for the WindowsXP firewall,the new Service pack - due for release very shortly - will turn on the firewall by default, and if you turn it off WinXP will nag you incessantly with one of those little balloons in your system tray.

Jackcoms 08:34 26 Jun 04

The FE's point is well made about pre-installed software, firewalls, anti-spyware, etc.

As much as computers become more and more sophisticated, we (the users) have still got to think for ourselves!

Giggle n' Bits 12:34 26 Jun 04

come top for virus & Hack infections. I point out that the typical owner of the Packard Bell branded pc do not know or understand that the Pre-installed Norton Anti Virus software has to be;

1. Registered

2. Kept up to date with Live Updates

3. Kept in Subscription which is 1 year time
span

I point out that ok, the next service pack will help out things for XP, but there again not a lot of people understand what the Windows Updates are for let alone they do not download them.

Giggle n' Bits 12:37 26 Jun 04

there are more of these in the home compaired to Dell, Mesh, Evesham etc. Even though I agree with FE yes Dell, Hewlett Packard, Emachine are others to check your virus subs and updates are to date.

buscrew 13:00 26 Jun 04

I'm a Packard Bell owner. Please define typical. Why do you imply that anyone with a Packard Bell is less likely to be computer literate than the owner of any other brand.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…