Packard Bell iMedia 5075 - noisy CPU fan

Bertie B 21:17 26 Aug 03

Pleased with my my PB iMedia 5067 Pentium 2.4 Ghz PC which I've had for three months I thought I was on to a good deal when recently offered a brand new PB iMedia 5075, with Athlon XP2600+ CPU, as an end of line sale. Bought for my daughter to take to Uni to do WP, Internet, Scanning, etc - a lot of machine for the money! However, out of 4 PCs in the house it is the most noisy. Packard Bell have fitted a new fan but it is still the same - apparently Athlon Processors run hotter than Pentium 4's - so I am told!!!!!??

Has anyone out there had a similar experience with this PC and has anyone fitted a so called "quiet" fan as a replacement?

obbit 21:31 26 Aug 03

athlons do run a bit warmer but if it's only that young take it back to you know who until you are satisfied.

Djohn 21:56 26 Aug 03

The more powerful AMD CPU's come with a fan that is capable of keeping them cool, but is usually noisy. The standard fan, that came with mine was guaranteed to keep the temperature down but also drowned out the TV! [The fan/heatsink supplied was only £5.00 more expensive than CPU without] I bought a "Coolermaster" fan /heatsink for £25.00. The heatsink is twice the size of the original, also the fan is larger but lower RPM. Now my system is not only running cooler, but also whisper quiet. j.

Bertie B 22:11 26 Aug 03

Thanks for that - seems to be a reasonable solution.

Any hints on best place to purchase, please? My initial search has not identified a suitable on for the XP2600+ - but I would have thought they are available!

Grantrh 22:32 26 Aug 03

click here do this sort of thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…