packard bell imedia 1306 slowing down

ands-b 20:43 22 Dec 07

Hi, bought an imedia 1306 almost 2 yr ago brand new. wasnt fast at all. it took ages to load xp. opening applications took ages. i used it for over a yr but then it started slowing down even more. i had it reformatted then it worked ok for a few weeks then went slow again. i installed a 7200 rpm sata hdd as i thought the hdd could be causing it to go slow and it still is slow now. i know the ram is only 192mb according to the spec so i thought maybe it will need upgrading to give it more speed.... what kind/make of ram would i need to update to like 1gb or something like that?

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

smudje 20:51 22 Dec 07

PC2-4200 or DDR2-533: operates at a maximum of 266 MHz.
PC2-5300 or DDR2-667: operates at a maximum of 333 MHz. Either one should surfice and the manufacturer should not matter too much at this point as your not trying to do some extreme gaming !

skidzy 20:53 22 Dec 07

Use Crucials scanner,this will identify what is needed click here

woodchip 20:55 22 Dec 07

You are using onboard Graphics, that's why it only shows 192Mb ram things would be faster if you got a dedicated Graphics card

woodchip 20:56 22 Dec 07

Hi skidzy

Not stopping on I just got out of the shower.
are you OK

smudje 21:02 22 Dec 07

you almost have to install more ram as it seems youu do in fact have on board graphics which is eating at your 256mb ram, dedicated graphics would indeed improve your system but you then would have to tell your bios to use the dedicated graphics card nd you would still be only left (if your lucky ) with your full amount of ram , Its also the expensive option as Ram is very cheap compared to a gpu

woodchip 21:06 22 Dec 07

Yes but the Graphics card would be self contained, with more ram in some cases than what he as in is computer at the moment, So it would be faster

skidzy 23:29 22 Dec 07

Hi Woody,yep all fine here thankyou.
Hope your ok my friend and Merry Christmas.

ands-b ,let us know how you get along.Your safest bet is the crucial scanner and if you decide to buy from them,they guarantee there ram or money back.
Go for at least 1GB and you will see a great improvement.

We can then help speeding up the computer further.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac