Packard Bell iextreme W7 - no boot.

onthelimit 18:26 18 Feb 11

I have been asked to look at the above (model M 5722). On pressing the start button, the PB logo appears then a black screen. Tried a variety of F keys and eventually got a screen with two options, repair or start normally. Repair seemed to do something, windows is loading files, the windows logo started scrolling the, once more, black screen.

Have been unable to access any recovery mode - website says Alt and F 10. Does nothing. He has no recovery discs. Anything else I can try before I suggest he contacts PB to buy a recovery CD, please?

onthelimit 18:28 18 Feb 11

Forgot to mention, he bought it from PC World a few days over a year ago. Needless to say, they won't help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:46 18 Feb 11

"Repair seemed to do something, windows is loading files, the windows logo started scrolling the, once more, black screen."

Black screen can be there for quite some time after a repair.

Redo the repair and leave it at the Black screen for at least half hour before giving up.

onthelimit 18:49 18 Feb 11

Thanks FB. I did do that and, after an age, a light blue screen appeared with what looked like contrails and a small white bird! Large mouse pointer, but nothing else. No keyboard inputs seemed to have any effect.

onthelimit 18:55 18 Feb 11

I've asked it to repair again, and will leave it running while I go out for the evening

onthelimit 22:50 18 Feb 11

Came back after 4 hrs - still that same screen with contrails and a white bird! Any more ideas?

rdave13 23:08 18 Feb 11

Have a look here; click here

Create your own recovery disk. It's a torrent download and an iso file which should be burnt to DVD. Worth a try.

Taff™ 09:19 19 Feb 11

rdave13`s disk is one I`ve used in the past but in conjunction with this knowledge base click here

This uses the bootrec.exe commands and enables you to fix the MBR, Scan the OS and write a new boot sector.

onthelimit 12:35 19 Feb 11

Thanks - have now tried the recovery disk from rdave's link. Got a bit further than before in that a 'choose keyboard layout' pane appeared. Clicked 'UK' - then back to that screen with contrails and white bird! HDD lamp was just continuously pulsing at this stage - on briefly then off for a sec.

Taff - don't have the Windows disk, so suspect I shall have to order recovery media from PB on Monday.

GaT7 13:14 19 Feb 11

Can you get to the Windows Recovery options screen using the Recovery Disc you downloaded? If yes, then you can run the various repair options.

This is how to get to it click here (METHOD TWO). Once there, you can try Startup Repair & System Restore.

If no joy with that, then choose the Command Prompt option from where you can run the various repair commands as mentioned in Taff's link. G

onthelimit 14:11 19 Feb 11

Thanks Crossbow - shall go and give it a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…