Packard Bell I-Connect 1200.......still hurting

Gringo2005 22:08 17 Dec 05

Got a freebee unit with Windows ME and the GigaByte GA-6WMM7 board
Want to upgrade software to XP pro sp2, but system won't recognise boot CD. Assumed maybe issue with the board recognising the newer cd/dvd drives i installed.
Connected IDE to main machine and loaded XP pro fine but now the board won't boot from the drive either

Thanks to advice, downloaded XP boot floppies and these worked ok but still won't recognise cd
Tries to boot windows and gives error message around windows failed due to power failure etc, offers to start normally/safe mode/with networking etc etc

HELP again please!!

woodchip 22:15 17 Dec 05

sounds like psu may be too small check how many watts it is

Gringo2005 22:21 17 Dec 05

it's the 145w one that came out of the original machine (pretty small!!)
but thought shud still run the unit, only things I have changed is to move the MB and hard drive to a newer case which has newer dvd and cd-rw drives + floppy

thing is, it's never booted xp but did appear to run ME fine before i re-formatted the drive

Gringo2005 10:16 18 Dec 05

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:30 18 Dec 05

Connected IDE to main machine and loaded XP pro fine but now the board won't boot from the drive either

XP will have loaded drivers for the main machines motherboard abd will not boot to the GigaByte GA-6WMM7 board.

Enter BIOS set first boot device to CD rom

2nd to HDD save and exit

Boot with CD in drive and watch for the "press any key to boot from CD" message.

Format the drive and reinstall XP

How much memory does this machine have? XP useless under 256mb.

Gringo2005 11:37 18 Dec 05

Unfortunitely the memory if rubbish at 64mb, but XP shud still work according to Microsoft

The Bios is set up correctly i think, it won't boot from cd-rom at all

how do I update the Bios on the board?
will try swopping out the cd-rom aswell

Gringo2005 17:41 18 Dec 05

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:50 18 Dec 05

With 64mb memory don't even think about running XP regardless of what MS say.

If XP runs (which I doubt) it will use all the memory and leave nothing for anyother application.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…