Packard Bell EasyNote lock-up

Sukris 17:41 14 Nov 08

My daughters's Packard Bell Easynote MZ35-V-075-UK laptop is approaching 15 months old and just out of warranty (double aaagh!). Last week it froze and shut down.

Now, when the power button is pressed (either with battery and/ or mains connected) the fan runs and the hard drive spins up but nothing else happens - no screen, no bios, nothing.

Since then I have tried the battery out, power adaptor diconnected and hold down the power button for at least 30 seconds "remedy" but to no avail.

I removed the hard drive and replaced it with another to see if it would go into bios but still nothing!

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:00 14 Nov 08

Not going into BIOS is a bad sign.

Try removing refitting the memory and MemTest - click here
Tutorial: How to use Memtest - click here
Windows Memory Test - click here

roddypoddy 18:58 14 Nov 08

click here
You may also try this forum.

Sukris 19:11 14 Nov 08

Thanks for the idea's /\0/\. I haven't had time to get MemTest, but I've just downloaded the Windows software on floppy and CD-Rom. When I turn the PB laptop on and off, it doesn't look for the floppy and, although the CD runs, it doesn't load anything.

Just to let you know what else I've tried:
1) connected a second monitor and cycled through the <Fn><F3> options;
2) Checked that the brightness isn't turned right down;
3) tried to get into BIOS by pressing <F2> when I turn it on; and
4) removed both RAM cards and turned the PB Laptop on and off.

It seems like the system has gone into hibernation and won't go into BIOS.

One thing I'm thinking of doing is running down the main battery and the BIOS battery and hoping it will reset itself. Do you think that might work?

T0SH 19:19 14 Nov 08

Most BIOS batteries have a life expectancy of 5 to 10 years so you will have a long wait if you go that way

Cheers HC

T0SH 19:35 14 Nov 08

Second thoughts remove the laptop battery and try to start it with only the mains connected the reasoning behind this is if the battery electronics have developed a fault it may just stop the laptop booting up

Cheers HC

Sukris 20:03 14 Nov 08

10 years!! eek!

Sukris 20:09 14 Nov 08

I think I might need a plan B!

Can the BIOS battery on a laptop generally be removed? (I did this once on a desktop, and had a little success).

BTW, just tried the power upon mains only, still didn't work. Thanks for the idea though.

Sukris 20:13 14 Nov 08

Sorry Roddypoddy, didn't reply sooner. I've been looking through the forum you suggested. Looks like it could be very helpful, but haven't found the answer just yet. Still looking ...

T0SH 16:26 16 Nov 08

Yes laptops do have a removable CMOS (Bios) battery the tricky bit if finding where they are located

But whatever resetting the CMOS is very unlikely to help in the situation you describe

but if you must here is a direct link to download the service manual for the MZ35 series laptop

click here

Please be very carefull never ever try to force anything apart

Can I suggest as a safety option remove the battery and put it in a safe place, you will not need it during servicing and doing so removes a source of very high current which can cause burning should you accidentally short something electrical by dropping a screw inside

First try removing these items in turn

1 CD/DVD drive

2 WLAN card

3 Hard Drive

after each step try booting it up using the mains adaptor

If it starts to boot then the last item removed is what is causing the problem

If none of the above solves it then it is time to get professional help I think

Cheers HC

Sukris 22:30 16 Nov 08

Thanks for the good advice, Tosh. I'll do the simple stuff, and if no good, I'll get professional help.

Thanks very much for taking the time to help.

All the best.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…