Packard Bell EasyNote Laptop

Pine Man 18:55 23 Dec 10
Answered

I have recently inherited an old Packard Bell EasyNote QUA-K1 laptop.

It works well but I have just changed the browser and installed it as the default browser.

Above the keyboard there are four lights, two round buttons and an oblong on/off button. The right hand of the two round buttons used to launch the browser but no longer does and I cannot find any way to change the settings for that button.

Any ideas?

GaT7 19:01 23 Dec 10
Answer

You'll probably need the 'F-Lock' button (or similar function button) to be on Enabled/On status to work. G

Pine Man 19:08 23 Dec 10

I've been pulling apart and rebuilding PCs since I modified my ZX81, more than a few years ago, but laptops are a whole new world to me;-)

I am very grateful for your prompt response but I don't actually know what you mean:-(

GaT7 19:17 23 Dec 10

It's a button that when pressed (to 'on' status) will enable the 'launch browser button' to do its job. I have this on my Logitech desktop keyboard (circa 2002), & I'm thinking something similar will be present on the laptop's keyboard too.

If you don't know where this button is, you'll have to press function (F) keys & other possibly unnamed (due to age) buttons one at a time in order to hopefully enable it. G

Pine Man 19:32 23 Dec 10

Ahhh now I understand.

None of the F keys seem to do anything.

When I installed the new browser (Firefox Beta) and pressed the button to launch it all that happened was that Windows Explorer was launched and the directory containing the old browser (Current Firefox) was highlighted.

My (temporary I hope) repair was to uninstall the beta browser and all is now ok.

I can live without having the beta browser BUT I've just got to find out how to change the settings for that button or I'll never sleep tonight!!. Maybe a hammer?

GaT7 19:52 23 Dec 10

"I can live without having the beta browser BUT I've just got to find out how to change the settings for that button or I'll never sleep tonight!!. Maybe a hammer?"

Or, a cliff perhaps click here ;-).

Sorry Pine Man, I don't know for sure, so I'm going to suggest asking after this at a Packard Bell forum: click here or click here.

All the best with it. G

Pine Man 19:56 23 Dec 10

Thanks for you help.

I'll give the hammer a miss and try some Pinot Grigio and the Two Ronnies 1984 Christmas Special!

Let's see what tomorrow brings:-))

Pine Man 10:26 02 Jan 11

No joy.

I'll see what the Packard Bell forum brings and tick this one as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now