packard bell blue screen of death!

athenrye 10:28 12 Sep 09

hi ive got a friends computer to fix!
it has the blue screen with the following message

unmountable boot volume and a lot of technical data!

i googled it and and it says its a file system case, i dont have the xp disk that the solution wanted me to use

i have been on packard bell and i can see rcovery disks to download, but i dont know what version his xp machine is

any ideas on how to fix this or what i should do

ive tried safe mose and other things in F8, but they all return to the bue screen of death...

will

Jak_1 11:29 12 Sep 09

Without an xp cd I don't think you are going to be able to do anything. Easiest solution is to purchase a new xp systems disk and use that to effect a recovery as it would appear that the boot.ini file has become corrupt. Your friend should have either the Packard Bell recovery disks that came supplied with the machine or to use the recovery disks that should have been made when the machine is used from new.

click here

click here=

The two links show where you can purchase operating systems from, they can be bought online. I know both stores well and both are reputable ahving been to both stores and having purchased online from them. Delivery is usualy the next day.
However if your friend can find his recovery disks then that would be by far the better solution.

athenrye 11:45 12 Sep 09

hi jak
i now know the machine, its a i meadia 5116 se and i ahve downloaded the recovery boot disk creator

is this programme only used to create a recovery disk? or will i be able to use it to recover his machine

or as you have said is it the xp disk i need?

its at the end of its life and he dosnt want to spend money, would i be able to put any xp disk in it to gain recovery?
will

Jak_1 11:54 12 Sep 09

That may be all that is required as most probably the boot.ininfile at present is corrupt, the os should still be there. Just a matter of getting the machine to boot up in the first place.
As it is an ageing machine, it may be time for a replacement, all that is required is the base unit as his present monitor etc should all be ok.

Good luck with the recovery.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:43 12 Sep 09

It takes just one floppy disc, you can make it from any machine running XP

First format a Floppy disc

Run type
Format A: /u

Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader]
timeout=-1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Save as

in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find

NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Add these to the floppy disc

you can now try starting the other computer with the floppy disc

athenrye 18:53 12 Sep 09

cheers fruit bat ill give that a go
err i will when i get a floppy disk

never used one is years!
william

athenrye 17:55 13 Sep 09

hi fruit bat
got a floppy!

i put the files on it seemd to go well
i booted the xp machine via the floppy and accessed a new page which asked "select the operating system to start"

i had various options, 1st harddisk, 1st partition
2nd harddisk 2nd partition etc through 2nd harddidk fourth aprtition etc
at the end it also had previous operating system on C:/

i choose the C option but i got this message
"Error accessing boot sector file multi(0)disk (0) fdisk(0)bootsect.dos"

any ideas mate?
will

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now