P5B Mobo - Cannot install Windows.

FCD 16:50 17 Mar 07

I have just built a Core 2 Duo system based on a P5B-E mobo with 2 SATA HDD and a single CD-ROM drive.

The system powered up OK and the HDD were recognised. However, I cannot get the system to boot from a CD-ROM in order to install windows. When I try to boot from the XP CD ROM I get the "Non system disc" error.

I have a Acronis programme on CD ROM and the system will run this from the CD Rom drive.

However, if I run an old win 98 start up floppy "with CD ROM support" when the OS Loads I get the message:

"Device Driver not found

MSCD001

No valid CD ROM device drivers detected."

And of course I cannot see the CD ROM drive.

I have been unable to access the ASUS support site so very grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

John Rooum

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:55 17 Mar 07

Sounds as if it is looking for HDD first.

You need to be certain that the CD drive is set to first boot device.

Try setting the CD drive as the ONLY boot device and see what happens.

howard64 16:58 17 Mar 07

I have the p5b board and had to set the bios to boot from cd and then press a key when it said press any key to boot from cd. If I did not follow this procedure I got the same result as you. One other thing I had to do - my sata2 drive is a western digital and I had to download their disk set up software and let it set my hard drive up. Good luck.

woodchip 17:00 17 Mar 07

Is the CD drive the first boot device in BIOS?

FCD 17:52 17 Mar 07

Many thanks all - yes I had the CD ROM as first boot device. Also I could not set it as the only boot device. And I did press any key when asked.

HOWEVER - by fiddling around with the boot device setting, it suddenly started working and XP is just finishing its install!

Why - who knows. Computers seem no different from the DOS days. Fortunately the people are also the same - always willing to help.

Thanks again.

John R

woodchip 19:10 17 Mar 07

Good to see you fixed it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009