P5B-E Mobo - IDE drive problems in XP

FCD 15:12 30 Mar 07

I have built a new system based on a P5B-E mobo which has 2 IDE channels from the JMicron controller. I have two main SATA HDD - both operating correctly as boot drive and slave - along with a DVDRW drive and a CD ROM drive. These two drives are the problem.

The BIOS recognises both drives - I can boot from either when selected as the first boot device - but Windows XP SP2 only recognises the DVDRW drive. If I disconnect the DVDRW, XP sees no optical drives. I have also tried installing a PATA IDE HDD again with the same result - XP will only see the DVDRW and recognises neither the HDD or CD ROM drives.

Very grateful for any help on resolving this issue.

John Rooum

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:16 30 Mar 07

How many IDE channels?

1 with both drives as master and skave on the same cable?

check the drives jumpers are set correctly as maaster and slave and not cable select (csl) master should be on end of cable slave on middle of cable.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:16 30 Mar 07

If on seperatate cables are both IDE channels "enaabled"?

FCD 18:15 30 Mar 07

Thanks for your help. But the problem is that - even if I disconnect the DVDRW so that there is only one optical drive in the IDE channel - the other drive [whether CD ROM or HDD] is still not detected by windows.

I believe that it is something to do with the JMicron controller which provides the PATA capability. Very odd and I will keep looking.

John R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…