P5B-E Mobo Errors after XP Re-install

FCD 10:43 11 Nov 08

I have a C2D system which has been running on a P5B-E mobo for 18 months and connected via ethernet to another home computer. Following a network problem which I could not resolve {including updating BIOS, I re-formatted and re-installed windows.

The network problem was resolved but, after installing all dtivers from the mobo support CD, I have 2 problems:

a. On boot up, XP finds an unknown new PCI hardware device which is shown in device manager under Other Devices. I have been unable to install any driver or identify this device.

b. I have 2 cd drives installed {which ran fine before] but now XP only sees one of these drives. I have checked that both are working.

Other than removing the CMOS battery to clear the BIOS and start again and I at a loss.

So very garteful for any advice.

John R

ambra4 16:32 11 Nov 08

“On boot up, XP finds an unknown new PCI hardware device which is shown in device manager under Other Devices. I have been unable to install any driver or identify this device:”

This is the CD drive that is not showing up

This might work to get your drives showing download and run

click here

FCD 07:54 13 Nov 08

Thanks all. Eventually found two separate issue:

Flashing BIOS had reset JB Micron controller to PATA/SATA IDE which gave only a a single channel IDE mode. Resetting to SATA gave back dual channel IDE.

The "odd" unrecognised PCI device was to do with a microsoft HD Audio KB which I found in the Add/remove programmes list. I removed it {have a separate audio card} and the device disappeared.

John

ambra4 10:30 13 Nov 08

Tick box and click resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…