P4 or AMD CPU?

I don't know if this is an 'allowed' question as I am new to this kind of thing and a relative novice with computers, but I am keen to build my own computer and just cannot make up my mind as to whether to base it around an AMD Barton XP 3000+ or a P4 3.06 GHz processor.They are similar in price, has anyone any advice as to stability +/- performance?

nurn 23:38 09 Apr 03

p4 better for encoding video editing + only as stable if conpatable with all the other conponets

DieSse 23:39 09 Apr 03

click here

For a comprehensive review.

rickf 23:40 09 Apr 03

This may be idiosycratic but if they are around the same price, I have not compared, I would myself go for the P4. It seems more stable and reliable to me over the yrs of using AMD and Pentium. Hope I haven't started the old chestnut again.

DieSse 00:14 10 Apr 03

click here

also here - specific to these two processors.

dinom 23:46 10 Apr 03

Always Intel.We stopped building amd machines 18 months ago due to overheating.Never had a problem with P4's.

snowy30 01:45 11 Apr 03

well, I think that properly answers my question then. P4 it is. I was debating to buy a AMD 2800XP or a P4 machine with either 2.66 or 2.8GHz processor.

snowy30 21:49 20 Apr 03

Ok, tell me this then. If AMD processors has supposedly an overheating problem and they're also unstable, then why is big computer companies like Evesham continue to sell machines with AMD processors installed? other than being cheaper than Intel.

jeez 22:23 20 Apr 03

dinom, u sould have used decent heatsink n fans then,eh. AMD, always more stable, better performance and, usually a little cheaper. That's why lot's of major pc manfs use them, think about it!

powerless 22:29 20 Apr 03

P4, AMD and VIA ;-)

jeez 23:16 20 Apr 03

world mag

PC World found that while the new Intel components didn't push up the price of the systems it tested, PCs based on AMD's Althon XP 3000+ remain faster and less expensive than the new P4-based computers.

In its tests the top WorldBench score PC World could squeeze from its new P4 systems was 127, which is easily beaten by the score's PC Advisor has been getting from Athlon 3000+ systems, which tops the scale at 138.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…