P4, oem vs retail

ambrosi 08:55 10 Mar 03

Hi

I'm looking to purchase the Pentium 4 3.06 GHz Processor as a stand-alone chip for a system I am building.

Dabs are selling the boxed version for £503 (I think this includes a fan), but Watford are offering the chip for about £450. I presume this must be an oem version(?). Apart from not getting the fan (this is not a problem) does anyone know of any other diadvantages of going oem as opposed to retail?

Gongoozler 09:46 10 Mar 03

Hi ambrosi. I've not bought any P4 processors, but from my experience the only difference between an OEM chip and a retail package is that the OEM will probably be the processor in an antistatic package of some kind in a jiffy bag. The retail version will be in an Intel box and include the heatsink and fan. I did notice that E-Buyer quote a 3-year limited warranty click here, but Watford don't mention the warranty click here=

davidg_richmond 10:25 10 Mar 03

you only get a 3 year warranty with the retail (boxed) version, as far as i am aware.

justinv 13:22 10 Mar 03

Why are you buying from there try click here or click here for much better prices.

Gongoozler 15:23 10 Mar 03

justinv, much better prices? Scan 3.06GHz Intel® Pentium® £645.08 inc vat. Microdirect £481.75 inc vat. Ebuyer £492.20 inc vat. Watford (Savastore) £464.13 inc vat. It certainly pays to shop around.

Stuartli 15:48 10 Mar 03

I think you must be mistaken about Scan's price, which is listed as:

LN4554 3.066GHz Hyper Threading (533FSB) Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 512k Cache * S478 * OEM £399.30 £469.18 (with VAT)

You do have to add p and p.

Stuartli 15:52 10 Mar 03

Whatever the price it's an awful lot of money to spend on a CPU, especially when you think that a quite useful system (probably without monitor) can be built for around the same price...:-)

My son built a full system, including 17in Samsung monitor, Asus BareBones Terminator case, 900MHz Duron, 20GB HDD etc for £405 including VAT - all bought from Scan - for a friend about a year ago. He could probably do even better today CPU wise..

Gongoozler 17:21 10 Mar 03

Stuartli you're right, I was looking at LN4768 3.06GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Xeon™ 533FSB CPU 512K Cache (Prestonia). As I have didn't spend more that about £25 for my Duron, I'm dazzled and befuddled by these super powered and super priced P4s. I'm sure there must be a diffence between a Pentium 4 and a Pentium 4 Xeon to justify nearly £200 price hike, but I don't know what it is.

ambrosi 17:30 10 Mar 03

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I initially need the machine for high end 3D games and an ability to run all the leagues on the new Championship Manager *face reddens slightly*

However, eventually, I would like to branch out into a bit of programming and re-live my life as a Speccy 48k owner, in addition to enjoying the system as a whole.

I decided on the 3.06 chip as I’m quite attracted to the Hyper-Threading potential and hope to pair it with various other high-end components on about a £2k budget. Thus giving the machine a bit of longevity.

Do you really think it’s not worth the extra money?

minter 17:48 10 Mar 03

Have just built myself a P4 computer.
I decided to get a 2.533 instead of a 3.06 processor not only because there is approx. £200 difference, but for the money you save you can stuff your computer with RAM, whick I think would be far better buy than a couple of points on the scale of the processor.

Gigabyte GA-SINXP1394
P4 2.533 oem
Sapphire Radeon 9700 pro
PC3200 512mb x 4
FD
CD-RW x 2
Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80gb x 2
Maxtor Diamondmax Plux 9 40gb x 2
Windows XP Pro

And it flies!!!! - and it did not cost anywhere near £2k

Gongoozler 10:26 11 Mar 03

I think there is a rule-of-thumb that to get a noticeable increase in pc speed, you need to increase the processor speed by about 50%. If that is true in this case, then there is unlikely to be any noticeable difference between a 2.5G and a 3.06G P4. Whatever you buy will be well down the speed scale by this time next year. As the manufacturers always heavily load the price of the fastest devices, then I would suggest the 2.8G would be a better buy than the 3.06G.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…