Is P4 Northwood disappering soon?

TomJerry 21:17 26 Jul 04

I am going to get a Intel Pentium 4 "Northwood" 3.0GHz (800FSB), and have been waiting for the price to drop for a few months now.

The reason I want this is that I do not like Prescott. Prescott is hotter than Northwood and slower than Northwood at same clock speed in some tests.

It seems that the price is not dropping and some internet sellers have run out of Northwood now.

I am not sure if intel is going to discount P4 Northwood. If they are, I need to buy one soon in case they disappered. If Intel is still making them, I will wait to see further price drop.

Anyone has any "inside" info?

TomJerry 12:04 27 Jul 04

?

TomJerry 20:45 27 Jul 04

Someone must know something.

Androcles 21:31 27 Jul 04

Mate of mine ordered a Tiny computer five weeks ago advertised with:-
(Intel Celeron Processor 320,new Prescott core-more performance per MHz). It arrived this week and after setting up and deoptimizing the modem(Tiny computers only allow you to connect through their server!) he ran a check with PC Pitstop.Found that it was fitted with a Pentium 4 Northwood,complained to Tiny that he had not got what he had paid for and got fobbed off with the usual drivel about same architecture in the chips.The thing is the Pentium 4 Northwood is only fractionally slower than the Prescott and the reason there are so few about is that Tiny is stuffing them in their machines which are advertised as containing Prescotts.Regards.

duckers 22:02 27 Jul 04

northwood is old hat, long live prescott.
Prescott is the new(est) version of teh P4 core and as wel as this many of the technologies used in the mother boards are becoming old hat as well, AGP/PCI is being replaced by PCI-Xpress,,etc. The Intel P-4 (or whatever its successor will be) is also due a socket change shortly so beware buying ultra expensive boards that are theoretically out of date already to the stuff mentioned click here

To buy or not to buy? thats a hard one, every time you buy any compter part you know a better one wil be on the shelf tomorrow for the price you just paid, such is technology. but a CPU socket change is a big thing, it board you buy today will not take the chip you nuy tomorrow.

TomJerry 23:35 27 Jul 04

You are mis-led by clever marketing.

Prescott is actually slower than Northwood at the same clock speed even Prescott has double cache. Some independent lab tests have discovered this fact.

Moreover Prescott is hot than Northwood so need fast fan to cool. I want a quiet machine, so I need themal efficient components. The reason for this is that Precott is smaller than Northwood and Precott has high component density.

Intel is actually going to give up P4 in not distance future. They are moving back to P3 core. Pemtium-M (Centrion) is actually based on P3. P-M has great performance and thermal efficiency, so the future is P3 core with (of course) multi-processor support.

TomJerry 10:52 28 Jul 04

AMD just cut processor, so Intel may cut soon. My wait may quickly over.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017