P4 CPU @ 100% periodically for days - please help

JavaJohn 13:14 03 Apr 03

i bought a laptop last summer, its fairly powerful - P4 2.2Ghz, 512Mb mem, 40Gb HDD, running windows XP home. the problem is, every so often the CPU registers as running at 100% of its capacity (for days at a time, then stops and might not happen again for weeks), needless to slay this *Massively* effects the computers performance. On closer inspection it shows that the 'System' process is using 98-100% of the processors capacity whcih it should not be. Other strange effects are large collections of 'old files' gather every 2-3 days (which i delete through disk cleanup) and the hard drive seems to need defraging almost every week. I have no idea what causes any of this, but i dont think it has anything to do with memory hogging applications or viruses. The one thing that stops the 100% CPU capacity showing is booting up in safe mode, maybe this provides a clue. If anyone could help i'd be very grateful, its driving me mad! Cheers, JavaJohn

A15 13:21 03 Apr 03

Have just posted a reply to your other thread.

JavaJohn 13:24 03 Apr 03

oops no hehe, i added a bit more info and a heading message to make it clearer, soz for the confusion...can you help?!?!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…